Blind Chicken What Do I Do

Our 16 year old bantam silkie cross has gone blind in her old age. We put water and food into large dog bowls so she trips on them and there is a large area she can eat and drink from. Its pretty sad. Other than her sight she is in good health and the other hens do not bother her. She refuses to be force fed.

The idea of culling her is repugnent given her excellent service as a broody and pet. However, if she gets poorly we may have to consider it. She will turn 17 this year and is part of the family.

I have a young silky hen that also got an eye infection and now appears to be blind. At
Least her eyes do not react when I shine a flashlight at her. She is having trouble finding her food and water also but is learning. I have fixed them to two corners of her cage. She is inside now as she was loosing weight out in the coop. She is very sweet just like others have said and I am not willing to give up on her yet. If anyone with more experience has any more suggestions for me it would be appreciated. Thanks

I recently discovered that my chicken is blind, my plan is to keep her in a large shallow bin, inside, help her eat and drink, and when she walks, give her a chicken diaper, and if she is ready put her outside. I couldn't dream of "culling" my baby. The decision is yours. If the chicken is used to attention and u give her a lot of it, then she should be fine

I have a blind chicken - noticed a week ago when she was attacked by other hens. Have separated her and made a small pen in the front yard so she doesn't wander off too far. Have put food and water in sturdy terracotta bowls so that she doesn't tip them over - she just sort of bumps into them and then eats/drinks; happily nibbles the grass. I put her to bed on the front verandah - a plastic container with straw - get her out each morning. She seems happy enough.

Nikki was born blind. I believe in 1 eye. See the picture of her 2 days old. Now the eye isn't as cloudy but she still can't see. I can't cull her. She's so sweet. Seems to be able to find her food and water. But I also help her at times. Either I rehire her to someone aware or house her separately for life. But I can't kill her. Originally named Nick Fury turns out she's female. Above Picture Is HER AT 6 weeKS old.

see my mother in law was telling me if i dont move food and water that she might be find with out me having to hand feed her all the time i really hate to kill her cuz over the past 2 weeks that shes been ive grown really close to her lol so fare the other eye seems fine but her right eye is mostly glazed over im trying my best keeping her alive just seems like none of the med is helping her beat this w/e it is
sad.png
but shes seems happy so fare other then the part where i clean her eyes out lol
If she loses only the one eye then she should stay fairly functional. I have high hopes it’s just the one eye and she will have a good quality life.

I have a blind 7 month old Barred Rock pullet. She has managed to find the food and water just fine. She even roosts with the others at night, but always in the same spot, which is the edge of the poop board, but close enough. She can’t find treats if I toss them into the run, so that requires hand feeding. I have to wear a glove though, since she pecks so hard, she will break skin. Sometimes she walks into things, and steps on others. She can’t use the outdoor roosts at all. The surprising thing is that she is one of our cockerels favorites, and is not at the bottom of the pecking order.

Back
Top Bottom