Blind? Chicken

Jun 9, 2021
I currently have 4 hens. All of which are around 2 years old. I lost hen #5 due to being egg bound. I mistook her spending time in the laying box as her brooding. Another hen that was actually brooding got sick or got pecked by the eggbound one. Either way, I have a hen that can’t see out of one eye. She has been bullied by my 3 other hens since I separated her while her eye was swollen (in case of being sick). She can drink and eat. Her pupil went from being slightly discolored to fully grey over several weeks. What do you guys think is the cause? Here are some pictures:

Edit: she has blood on her comb.I think her eye has gotten progressively worse with my other hens pecking her (I researched on how to reintroduce her correctly). I was thinking about making another coop and run just for her. Would it be the kindest thing to separate her? Do you guys think she might be sick? This started 4 weeks ago so I’m guessing if she was fatally ill or crazy contagious her or my other hens wouldn’t be doing so well. All my other hens are healthy and laying eggs.

Attachments

• 5F023AA7-A5D3-48E9-A4F7-EC210FFABEAE.jpeg
    5F023AA7-A5D3-48E9-A4F7-EC210FFABEAE.jpeg
    317.8 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    483.4 KB · Views: 2
I currently have 4 hens. All of which are around 2 years old. I lost hen #5 due to being egg bound. I mistook her spending time in the laying box as her brooding. Another hen that was actually brooding got sick or got pecked by the eggbound one. Either way, I have a hen that can’t see out of one eye. She has been bullied by my 3 other hens since I separated her while her eye was swollen (in case of being sick). She can drink and eat. Her pupil went from being slightly discolored to fully grey over several weeks. What do you guys think is the cause? Here are some pictures:

Edit: she has blood on her comb.I think her eye has gotten progressively worse with my other hens pecking her (I researched on how to reintroduce her correctly). I was thinking about making another coop and run just for her. Would it be the kindest thing to separate her? Do you guys think she might be sick? This started 4 weeks ago so I’m guessing if she was fatally ill or crazy contagious her or my other hens wouldn’t be doing so well. All my other hens are healthy and laying eggs.
She could be blind but she could also have mareks I would seperate her. Sadly there is no soultion to mareks and if the others get it sadly they will die and its very contigous.

If it was mareks, wouldn’t it have affected my other chickens awhile ago? She had the eye problem 4-5 weeks ago. Once it cleared up I let her out with the others 2-3 weeks ago. Now the eye is grey and cloudy (and just started excreting some pus).

What I’m saying is they are currently living together and have been for a few weeks.

If it was mareks, wouldn’t it have affected my other chickens awhile ago? She had the eye problem 4-5 weeks ago. Once it cleared up I let her out with the others 2-3 weeks ago. Now the eye is grey and cloudy (and just started excreting some pus).

What I’m saying is they are currently living together and have been for a few weeks.
Than shes probably blind id give her some eye drops to help her :)

Is it possible this eye problem is caused by my other hens pecking her?
Sometimes chickens can turn blind that means their not born blind but they can slowly turn blind I had a vorwerk hen turn blind even tho she wasnt born with it I forgot what the syndrom was called I kinda forgot. BUt usally eye drops will help and she can perfectly live on her own she just needs some special care my vorwreck blind hen lived up to 9 years.

Thank you so much for all your input! Since she is blind- and getting bullied would it be the best to separate her permanently from the flock? I know chickens are social animals and need each other but I don’t see how her getting harmed is what’s best. Thanks again!

Thank you so much for all your input! Since she is blind- and getting bullied would it be the best to separate her permanently from the flock? I know chickens are social animals and need each other but I don’t see how her getting harmed is what’s best. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom