Blind chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CarrieW, Feb 10, 2013.

1. CarrieW

CarrieW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    Durango, CO
    If this isn't the right place for this thread, admn please move it. I wasn't sure where to put it...

But anyways, I have a blind chicken. I had thought she was blind for a while, but was doing ok in the coop with the other girls. I went out there the other morning, and she was head first in a corner and the others were picking on her rear end. She was very bloody and raw. I brought her in the house and rinsed her off really well and put some triple antibiotic ointment on her. I put her in the garage in a box with food and water thinking she wouldn't make it through the night. Well, she did. I now have her in a very large guinea pig cage in the garage with a low roost, food and water. She walks around, and pecks in the air till she finds the feeder and waterer, and seems to be doing pretty well. Her rear is healing, and she coo's at me every time I am out there. Is there anything else I should be doing? Do I now have a pet chicken? LOL I would really appreciate any help or words of wisdom.

2. aeasley

aeasley Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2012
    HI there, I too have a blind chicken due to a fox attack. I adopted her because she was starving and very dehydrated. Chickens sseem to make such miraculous recoveries as her sight in one eye has finally come back. She gradually adjusted to her environment and does well. Since yours seems permanently blind you may need to hand feed/water her. I did this for a while and recently due to a sick chicken have discovered how great a little syringe is for water. I use the kind that is made for human babies to get liquid medicine and drop water on the tip of her beak- evidently chickens have a instinct to grab this drop on their beak and therefore you can trick them into drinking. Also giving her foods with lots of liquid content could be good. I understand your pain- a blind chicken is a pretty pathetic little thing!! Good luck!!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by