Blind Chicken

danicasmom

Hatching
7 Years
Aug 14, 2012
Any idea to why my healthy silkie would go blind. I've raised her since she was 2 days old. I took her to vet because she was acting weird (not coming out of coop and running to me like she normally did and just laying low). The vet diagnosis is she is blind. She is blind and under weight now since she is not eating as much. I've been bringing her in when I get home in the evenings to make sure she is eating and drinking she is also getting scratch, mealworms and I gave her a little bread last night. I just don't understand how this happened. I can understand being born blind but this I don't get. Any ideas? My other ladies are leaving her alone at the moment so I am letting her be with her flock. They are in an enclosed run when I am working and they get let out when I get home and its daylight so I am not worried about predators. She recently came out to explore with the others so I know she is feeling better some. I just watch her to make sure she goes with the other chickens. Thank you in advance for suggestions on how this happened.

How old is she? Blindness can be caused by many different things from high ammonia levels in the coop air, eye infections, pecking, cataracts, vitamin deficiency, and Mareks disease. Being underweight may be because she couldn't see the food. Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? Do her eyes look normal like your other chickens' eyes, or are the pupils odd shaped or cloudy? If not, could you post pictures? Here are some links to read about common eye disorders:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps031
http://www.joneshamiltonag.com/jh/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/PLT_Poultry-Eye-Disorders.pdf

Be patient with the second ink since it takes a bit to download, but is very good.

She is 2. Vet who sees chicken regularly said her eyes look fine from the outside. That is the strange thing she looks fine. She was too small to be vaccinated when I got her, my others were though. I'm not going to freak myself out over Marek's. I will check link when i get home tonight. My vet thinks injury? I just don't know how she could have done it. As for ammonia, I have poop boards and scrape daily. Thank you for link.

Back
Top Bottom