Blind duck makes a delicious discovery!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Sunny Side Up, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    It seems that one of our 6 Khaki Campbell ducks is almost totally blind. She doesn't flinch when a hand is waved in front of her eyes and she often bumps into things if she's moving fast. However, she seems to get along fairly well despite her impairment, finds her way around the yard, in & out of the pool, and over to the food & water dishes. She doesn't always stay with the rest of her flock, but communicates with them by quacking loudly when she's separated.

One night I went out to shoo all the ducks into their pen and was concerned when I didn't see Aflack, the blind duck. Usually there will be quacking from her or her flockmates when they're separated, but this night everyone was quiet. I feared that something had gotten into the yard and taken advantage of Aflack's blind unawareness. With a heavy heart full of dread I searched all around the yard with a flashlight, looking for the remains of Aflack.

After completing almost a full circle of the yard I finally found Aflack, and the reason for her unusual silence -- somehow she had found the old aquarium I've been using to grow duckweed, and was busy gobbling up its contents! And keeping her delicious discovery all to herself, thankyouverymuch!

It made me happy to see how God had blessed this little blind duck with a special flavorful find all her own.

2. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    This was such a cute story...Thanks for sharing it.

Cindy

3. hennypenny9

hennypenny9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Awwww. So cute! When we had Khakis they were the most hilarious ducks. Smallish but LOUD!

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Aw that is sweet story!!!!

5. chickypoo

chickypoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2008
    Colorado
    [​IMG] Aaawww! So what are the odds of getting a picture of this special little girl?

6. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    Yep, gotta have a picture now. You can't tell us a sweet story like this and not include a photo.

7. skand

skand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Odessa, Tx
    See! Blindness doesn't mean they can't , it's just like people, the other senses take over and compensate. Most times people see the disability and don't want to wait to see how they will not just make do, but do better then the others that can see.
    Great story! Jim has pics of our blind roo up, you should see our babysitter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by