Blind hen ?

Willow14

Hatching
Oct 1, 2021
Hi, I have a really old hen, shes around 11/12 years old. Yesterday when I went in to feed them, I noticed that she kept pecking fresh air and bobbing her head a lot. She also kept walking into my legs. I’ve given her a separate food bowl and wait with her till she starts to eat and I’m making sure she is drinking. Has anyone experienced this ? And other than old age , could it be anything other than that? She is really strong and healthy other than her eyesight problem.
Thanks

Her eyesight does sound like it's going. Are her eyes cloudy? Pictures might help.

Yes I had an 8 year old polish who was unfortunately blind. She had bad cataracts in both eyes. She kept going in the flock for a good 9 months or so until we put her to sleep. She wasn’t happy on her own so kept her with the flock until they actually rejected her. Even though the water and food were in the same place all the time she became disoriented and wasn’t eating and drinking enough even with help several times per day.

Her eyesight does sound like it's going. Are her eyes cloudy? Pictures might help.
This is the best picture I could get today. Ive never had a hen this old before and when I googled blindness in hens it came back with it’s really uncommon. They’re not weeping and they look normal for her.

Attachments

• 32A9D5AD-E73B-45BC-A446-DDC7570BAA4A.jpeg
    32A9D5AD-E73B-45BC-A446-DDC7570BAA4A.jpeg
    476.3 KB · Views: 2
Yes I had an 8 year old polish who was unfortunately blind. She had bad cataracts in both eyes. She kept going in the flock for a good 9 months or so until we put her to sleep. She wasn’t happy on her own so kept her with the flock until they actually rejected her. Even though the water and food were in the same place all the time she became disoriented and wasn’t eating and drinking enough even with help several times per day.
Ahh it’s so sad, I’m having a new hen house built and I’m a bit worried that this will disorientate her when they move in. She is so friendly and doesn’t mind being handled at all so I can help her as much as possible with food and drink. I’ll just keep my fingers crossed that the other girls don’t turn on her. Thanks for the reply

Back
Top Bottom