"Blind" Peacock - Deerman, I miss you!

Atlchick

Songster
10 Years
Jun 5, 2009
Grayson, GA
My 3 yr. old dominant IB peacock has always had one eye that is 'cloudy', but today I noticed him not wandering around in the pen and determined the other is also bad. We've had him over a year, and none of the other birds exhibit any problems. It reminds me of 'cataracts' you see on a dog or cat. It's not oozing, just cloudy, and he can't see at all, I don't think. I walked right up to him and picked him up, and he didn't freak like he should have.

I just gave him a shot of Tylan, and I'm wondering if anyone else has had experience with this or something similar. We hand fed him water since he's not walking around, but he wasn't interested in eating.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

AWW
hugs.gif
poor baby,
I have a blind chicken and she does well in a pen by herself,my flocks free range so she really does have the company of others even if they are not in the pen with her,but she was born blind and i don't know that that will make a difference in how well they do.

Poor guy might just be waiting for the lights to come on if he is totaly blind now whereas he could see before.

The key to keeping our girl happy and well fed is to keep everything in the same place for her and we gave her a cinderblock turned on it's side to roost on.

Don't know why your pea went blind, my chickens eyes look normal not cloudy, hopefully someone will have an answer for you.

He is blind and there is nothing you can give him to cure it. I have seen this in some of the mutations but I have never seen a blue that has gone blind. There has been alot of cameo that has gone blind and alot of it has been from so much inbreeding. Over the years I have had a few different kinds of hens I bought from other breeders that has gone blind at 2 or 3 years old and I will not use them in breeding program because I think this problem could show up in the offspring. He will be alright as long as he can find his food and water but he want be any good as a breeder.

Sigh. I was hoping it was something that could be helped with meds. If anybody else has anything to add, I'd sure appreciate it!

I am happy to have 2 more males that will be mature this spring for breeding, but I hate to see this guy have a rough time of it.

Last edited:
Sorry not much you can do for him. Now there was a blind gene in the cameo, and purple. Most breeders have bred those genes Uof those lines.

Just don't breed from him, or any of his offspring.

Best if you could keep him by himself, even peahens will pick on him

Last edited:
I would pen him by himself, maybe add a small friendly rooster or something for company. I say rooster, like a bantam, because some of mine will try to feed anything that will listen to them. They go to the food bowl and whither it is a bigger roo, a turkey, chicks, what ever..... they will do the "I found good stuff over here " song. Something like that may help your peacock find his way around. I have a little blind chicken, she still lives a good life, scratches, lays an egg every day, perches... don't know how but she does.....

Had a Blind Cameo male once and the Peahen lead him around like a seeing eye dog, took him to the food and water layed beside him because he couldn't find the roost. If you keep him be sure to always keep the food and water in the same place so he knows where it is.

Thanks for the advice, guys! And to my dear Deerman especially...thank you for your input. I value your advice and experience so much. I'm so glad you feel up to passing on your knowledge from time to time and pray you feel stronger everyday.

And on the upside, I sat outside this afternoon for a couple of hours just watching him interact with the flock. Somehow he meandered down the length of the pen and found the feeder. He walked 'round and 'round the feeder for the better part of an hour, just grazing. The other peas stepped back and left him alone, then the hens walked with him over to the waterer and he drank his fill. I felt much better about the whole thing today, so I believe I'll leave things alone until the situation changes, then I'll take your advice about secluding him - maybe with a gentle rooster.

Thanks again guys! What a wonderful resource you are!!!!
frow.gif

For a few years, I had a chicken hen that was blind in one eye. The other girls would pick on her, so she lived in her own private quarters in the aviary. She could be with the rest of the flock but not mingle with them. Madam Zelda lived happily this way for 3 years. Somehow she injured her good eye and became totally blind. She shut down, refusing to eat. She knew her pen well, but wouldn't move. After three days of watching her so miserable, I put her down.

I'm sorry this has happened to you and your bird. Deerman has good advice, as always. Good luck to you,

If he has been around a peahen, yes see how he does with her during breeedeing season, peafowl love to be with other peas. Peacocks may start picking on him soon.....even some peahens...but not all peahens.

Goood luck with him.

Back
Top Bottom