Blind

harleysville homesteader

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 21, 2010
Harleysville, PA
I have a 10 week old golden laced wyandotte that seems to be blind. We didn't notice until we moved them outside to their larger run today.
I've attached a picture. Doesn't appear to be Mareks.
I observed her eating and drinking, she stumbled about a little but she must have been going blind or have been blind for awhile as she sticks close to the other two in her flock.
Any thoughts?
20200530_183955.jpg

It looks like a cataract. Does the other eye look similar? Has there ever been any high ammonia level inside your coop? Any with a respiratory disease? Have you ever had any young chick die with tremors in the first month of life? If she is blind in one eye, she probably would do okay in a familiar setting. Does she see light and dark?

It looks like a cataract. Does the other eye look similar? Has there ever been any high ammonia level inside your coop? Any with a respiratory disease? Have you ever had any young chick die with tremors in the first month of life? If she is blind in one eye, she probably would do okay in a familiar setting. Does she see light and dark?
Other eye is the exact same. Does not seem to register light/dark. We have not noticed high ammonia -our brooder was in our garage, though, same as all our previous flocks. Not great air circulation. One seems to have sneeze, and they all seemed a little panty after we moved them, but that went away after they settled in.
As we keep thinking about it - I'm almost wondering if she was born blind. We had one chick that we were really worried about the first few days because it hardly moved and took awhile to eat/drink. And this one was always "curious" and wouldn't run away when we would reach in to handle them and feed/water. Now wondering if the "friendliness" was actually just not realizing we were even there...

Back
Top Bottom