Blister-like bumps on my Runner's bill?? Help!!

twinny98

Hatching
5 Years
May 28, 2014
The basics: I've got a team of ducks, one of which is a Runner that I hatched approximately two months ago. I'm not yet sure of its sex. They are fed scratch mix, grass, and fruits and vegetables (the duckling in question loves strawberries!). Water is typically received every day, but if they don't dirty it as fast then sometimes I'll skip a day. They live in a large pen and are separated from the chickens, but do have four temporary visitors until Thanksgiving -- two White and two Bronze turkeys. There's usually a single rabbit in their pen with them because I have three and prefer to allow them to run around rather than to stay cramped up in a hutch all the time.

The problem: On a duckling's bill there are two large blister-like bumps that have a light green tint to them; they sit on the left and right side of its upper bill, right below the nostrils and nearly run down nearly all the way to its nail. They are soft to the touch but firm because they are obviously full of a liquid of some sorts. There are no open cuts or abrasions in its mouth or around near the bill that could indicate cause of an infection. The duck acts perfectly fine; when the bumps are touched, it doesn't move away or flinch, so I presume that they must not hurt.

Here are some pictures I just took this morning:

It looks very painful to me, and I'd really like to know what it may possibly be. Also, the brown spots are quite new. Around the nail is only dirt, but by the nostrils it is quite clear that it isn't mud. This is the only duck with those, so I'm curious to know if the brown spots are related to the bumps? They are not the normal, melanin-caused dark spots that ducks normally get -- that much I do know. They're almost like scabs to me, which makes me wonder if he scraped is bill up and those scrapes got infected before healing, leading to the large bumps?

I've researched around the web and haven't seen much on the topic that could give me an idea as to what to do or what it may be, and there are very, very few fowl/ornithology-oriented veterinarians around my area that I could contact (I've actually yet to find one, hence I'm here). Does this look familiar to anyone? I'm afraid of it being contagious and something lethal that will spread among my other ducks.

What I'm trying to do to help: The duck has been getting treated with an Epsom salt and water solution. I take water that has it dissolved in it and soak a small rag with the solution and hold it over the bumps. I'm careful not to allow the duck to consume it. I've only started it yesterday evening (when the bumps were first observed), so results have yet to be seen. Tea tree oil is to be tried next if Epsom salt doesn't prove adequate. I'm weary to attempt to drain them because I do not know how healing goes with the duck's bill. I don't want to make a hole and then have it not close back up or end up creating more problems because of my ignorance. I'd just love to know what this could possibly be because we're flying blind right now. I've never seen it before and what appreciate any help or advice from someone knowledgeable or with experience with this sort of thing that could advise me on what sort of action to take. Thank you.

Last edited:
I would drain it, looks like an infection under the cuticle. A ducks bill is a bone structure with some tissue, converted by a keratin cuticle (like your fingernail).

Clint

I am with Speceider on this one - that needs attention. Clint, do you think some kind of antibiotic would be in order, or might it not be a bacterial infection?

Found out that it was like a cyst in the salivary glands, which were somehow damaged or infected, and the problem is retreating. Thanks for the advice!

Found out that it was like a cyst in the salivary glands, which were somehow damaged or infected, and the problem is retreating. Thanks for the advice!
Know this is an older post but have a duck going through this on one side of his bill. My question is did you drain it like others had suggested or did it clear on its own? I was thinking of trying Tea Trea as well.

20220422_160519.jpg

Attachments

• 20220422_160514.jpg
    20220422_160514.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom