Blizzard!

So we are in the midst of a blizzard here in the Northeast. Currently my chickens are safe inside their coop which is inside a secure, roofed run. However the plastic coverings that we had on the sides of the run have blown off and they can't be replaced in the current weather. I'm nervous that if we let them out of the coop into the run the winds would be dangerous for them but right now they are in a dark coop with no food or water. What would you do? Are they okay to be left inside the coop all day thinking it's still nighttime and having no food or water, I can't imagine so.
Put water and food inside the coop. If that isn't possible, then offer them water and food by holding it up to them. They need water to stay hydrated even in winter. There's a reason they take a good long drink before they go to bed. They need food for the calories to burn just like you and I would.

This might be slightly on the expensive side...but during the winter months I put up clear shower curtains all around the run. I zip tie the tops (make sure you get the grommeted holes - just stamped will rip) to the top of the run (in my case it's wood beams and wire mesh) and the bottoms are secured with pavers which go all along the run. The pavers also add as a decorative protective layer against any predator trying to dig under the run. I overlap the shower curtains about 2 grommet lengths. We've had some serious gusts this winter (and right now with this wonderful blizzard :rolleyes:) and all is well for the girls.
Now...as far as the roof...I think I may have the panels you use around your sides as my roofing material. Those do blow off...and I feel your pain. Bungee cords help there. :D

They make some of those camping lights that use AA batteries as well, which Walmart sells. I bought a solar light rope for my patio for $10 at Harbour Bay that is long, and the base could sit outside the coop in the sun. Of course the light is on at night and off in the daytime, which probably will not help.
Cover the sensor with electrical tape, might work.

You may want to cover the vent in the roost, not that important in winter and don't clean out the manure as it generates heat for them. Frost bite this early in winter is not good, can only get worse over the next two months. I would think some good old Vaseline would help protect their combs. I'd run an extension cord out their and put an old fashioned light bulb (25w at least) in. I grew up in MA and have a good idea of what kind of winter you will experience. At worst, I would bring them in to your garage for the duration.

Coach, do those panels do okay with drilling holes? Any shattering as happens with plexiglas? I have only tried sawing plexiglas, not drilling, and it can be tricky.

The key with drilling plexiglass is start with a small drill bit and work your way up. Go at a slow speed. Keep the drill bit lubricated, a drop of motor oil does the trick.

Back
Top Bottom