bloated miserable hen

That sure sounds like what is happening with my hen. I have a good friend that is a small animal vet who enjoys interested cases so my husband is going to the bring her the hen tomorrow.

Thanks!
Andrea

If it is Ascites, don't let the negative reports get you down. If you read about it, the articles say it's liver failure, etc. etc. I'm not sure what causes it but I do know my hen lives a normal and happy life and just fills with water every three months that has to be drained. This has been going on since late Spring/early summer so it's not a death warrant if she has it. She still lays fertile eggs and I've hatched her chicks. She was one of my first chicks, a Black Sex Link and they are the tamest ones I have. She doesn't seem to feel anything when I'm draining the water out of her "bag" most of the time she keeps eating.

Thanks for the encouragement. My vet friend hasn't had a chance to look at her yet- but I am sure she would have made the time if it were dire.
-A

Someone gave me a chicken last night with a distended stomach area so I came here and read this thread. This morning I did take a needle and drain it. The liquid was a little yellow, not clear. I have her in the bathtub and it's still draining on it's own.

I'm not sure if she will make it or not but at least I could help her thanks to you all.
smile.png

Quote:
Hi and welcome to BYC. Glad you found a thread that could help you. I drained my hen just the other day and this time it was slightly yellow. But as long as it is liquid and watery it will help to get it out of her so she will be more comfortable. It's when you go to drain and nothing comes out and its solid or yolky that's a real problem.

I've also had others PM me and say that they've drained the fluid from their hens and the hens went on to live another day. Again, I have no idea why it happens, how long it will go on, or how long this treatment plan will work but I did read about someone who drained their hen for years and other than that the hen lived a normal life.

I drained the bird this morning and it ate well too. I've had her in the bathtub till now. I need a shower in the morning so I will put her outside by herself.

She is evidently a broiler chicken. Don't know how she will fit in but at least I see a future for her now.

Glad to hear it went well. I'm sure she's more comfortable now. I read that the broiler birds are the ones who suffer from Ascites the most. My hen isn't a broiler, she's a Black Sex Link.

Quote:
I have a couple Black Sex Links. Beautiful birds and they lay huge eggs too.

This morning the bird was running from me in the bathtub, first time she showed any interest in what was going on around her. Time to kick her outside and take my shower back. I'm gonna keep her by herself for now. She needs to gain weight but she's eating just fine now that she feels better.

The guy who had her didn't take good care of them. They are all nasty dirty and their cage hasn't been cleaned out in ages.

Update on my hen- I took her to my vet friend to see what she could figure out- and after nursing her along for a week (the hen had free reign in the clinic, lol) she took a turn for the worse today and we decided to put her down. I happened to be free, so I went by and after she was gone we opened her up (I could only do that because I wasn't very attached to this one and was very curious about what was wrong). She was a mess, best guess was cancer- lots of strange growths and weird unidentifiable stuff. So- sorry to have lost her, but glad to know there wasn't anything I could have done and nothing contagious.

I am glad for everyone else whose hens are doing better!

Where were the growths? Were they in the reproductive tract by any chance and floating in the body? If so, it's rather common actually. Often due to things going the wrong way inside and collecting or falling into the body instead of being let out.

Graphic pic of my opened hen who was bloated and the massive growths in the reproductive tracts.

Back
Top Bottom