blocked vent

babychick1

Chirping
10 Years
Mar 12, 2010
i have a baby chick barely a month old and today when i checked him he had a huge dried ball of terd stuck to his butt, it was completely blocking his vent. does this normally happen? what can i do to keep it from happening again?

Search "pasting up" on the forum. This is very common and can be fatal! My two week old chicks had a problem with pasting up. My understanding is that they usually grow out of it, but you must clean it off very gently and be thorough. I have had a lot of luck soaking the poo with a warm wet paper towel and very gently wiping. Dry them off super well after you do this and check them regularly.
Good luck!

It is a little unusual with one that old.

In addition to what the previous poster said, it can be helpful, after he's washed and dried, to put vaseline on his vent and the nearby feathers to keep the sticky poop from sticking to him. And then hopefully he'll grow out of the problem before it starts sticking again. Just checking him a couple times a day to be sure.

thank you for the advice. should i put some sort of medication on its butt? it was pretty swollen when i cleaned him off.

The inflammation will probably go down now that he's cleaned up. I wouldn't put anything on it now. If it looks bad, you could try honey or prep-h. But i probably would leave it be for now and just keep it clean.

If it's bloody, then that's different. I assume it isn't.

When I get a pasty, I take the chick in my left hand holding the whole head and body with the head facing my wrist so that only its butt is exposed out of the circle created by my thumb and index finger. I then turn on the laundry sink faucet to a gentle flow, but not a trickle of warm water, making sure to test the water for an appropriate temperature. I then hold the little bum under the water just far enough to hit the poop and let it run for as long as it takes to soften and remove most of it (usually 30-45 seconds). I then gentle rub any stubborn pieces with my right index finger until it is clean. Pat the little booty dry and put under the heat lamp in the brooder. No more than the tail and vent area gets wet and it is very gentle on the fuzz. No pulling out fuzz or feathers by trying to remove stubborn poop too soon.

As for preventing it, make sure the brooder temps are not too hot or too cold for the age of the chick. Start at 95 the first week and reduce temps by 5 degrees per week until fully feathered, or about 6 weeks or so. Keep the brooder clean, especially the water. Some will disagree, but I mix crumbles and plain yogurt (plain, not vanilla) to the consistency of thick oatmeal once or twice a week and give them as much as they will eat in about 5-10 minutes. Don't over do it because dairy can give them diarrhea, but a little yogurt replenishes the healthy gut flora and crowds out the bad stuff.

I have only had pasty butts when they first arrive, and then its usually only the chicks from the feed store.

UGCM

Back
Top Bottom