Blood Everywhere...what to do???

ladybug99

Songster
9 Years
Aug 10, 2010
Monroe New Jersey
Went down the coop this morning and there is a lot of blood splattered every where, especially on the water and food containers. After a quick count every one was present and accounted for. It was still dark but with a quick glance of my flash light I could see both of the roos with bloody combs....from what I could see it is just the tips. I can see that they have black spots and dried blood, this looks to have been older injuries that have been re opened. It has been cold here so I am assuming they have frost bite from a previous cold snap we had a few weeks ago. the coop is now winterized so I am sure frostbite won't happen again. Is there anything I should do? These guys are not my pets so they are not the easiest to catch or treat.... so if it will heal on its own I would rather let them be, but if not I want to do what is best for them. It doesn't seem that they are getting pecked.. looks more like they are injuring themselves when going for food... hitting thier combs on the sides of the container

The entire flock are Welsummers, about 6 moths old. Very healthy bunch. I have 24 hens and two roos. A few of the girls are laying. The boys grew up together and have not shown any real aggression to each other.. just your typical pecking order stuff.

Looking forward to your suggestions.
smile.png

I doubt it is frostbite, the affected area does not bleed just turns black and falls off. More likely the roos where bit. Either by eachother, a hen, or a rat in the coop. When the birds are roosting for the night it is not uncommon for there to be some fighting for the best spot.

Quote:
Not entirely accurate.

Frostbite goes through many stages. Just before it starts to blacken and wither, it goes through a very fragile stage where the slightest touch will make it bleed. I think the injuries could be a combination of the feeders irritating the damaged tips causing bleeding and then the other birds seeing the blood and picking at the bleeding combs. Between those two things your coop probably looks like a massacre took place. Slap some Blukote on those boys and they'll be as good as new. The frostbitten areas should be starting to dessicate and once that happens they won't have any further injury. In the meanwhile, perhaps you look at a different type of feeder that won't hit their combs.

Last winter my roo, who had the most gloriously large wattles, got frostbite all over them from dipping them in the waterer. One morning I walked out to the coop and his favorite girl was coated in blood- all over her neck, her head and her back. I flipped because she is also a family favorite and I didn't want to explain to my daughter that she was wounded. I searched her over 3 times and could find nothing, but she was soaked in blood. I finally ascertained that in the process of mating the roo's damaged wattles had bled all over his favorite girl. They had bled a lot. Right after that incident his wattles withered up and sloughed off.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

X2, sounds like frostbite. I have a pic, but not saved in my uploads, and I stink at pics.
Will look for you. The comb looks like all black, and shriveled up on the points.
And then, they fall off.

I just used Neosporin, lay it on thick, it may insulate it a bit.
Some of my boys have the brains to stay inside on cold days, but Harry here, there's nothing left. He's a dummy. Or maybe he just enjoys the attention.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom