Blood Feather

AlleyKat213

In the Brooder
Mar 18, 2021
Today I went out to check on our ducklings, and I noticed some blood on Duey, that was still kinda wet... It looked like one of the blood feathers were ripped out and was dried up... I brought her inside to check it, and noticed a fresh blood feather that was torn (dont know if it was caused by me grabbing her or if she had it before hand and I just didnt notice it).... Needless to say, I wrapped a towel around the blood feathers and stopped the bleeding, and am keeping her inside rn for observation... My question is, how long should I keep her inside? It's really windy outside and I dont want to take the chance of it getting infected....

With pliers, pull the blood feather out completely. The hole caused by the removal of this broken feather will be sealed when the feather shaft has been removed. The feather shaft acts like a siphon, drawing the blood through it, and out of the body.

Personally, I pull blood feathers. If you do it wrong you can cause damage, so if you aren't confident I don't recommend doing it. Perhaps look up a guide. You can also take your duckling to the vet. They usually do it for less than $100.

Back
Top Bottom