Blood in chicken poop.

courtneyytags

Chirping
Jan 11, 2021
This morning I found blood in my chickens poop. I have two SLW, two ameraucanas, four feral chickens. My SLW were raised on medicated chick feed (only when they were chicks), my ameraucanas were bought from someone else, and three out of four of my feral chickens were raised on medicated chick feed (only when they were chicks.

Two of the feral chicks came into my yard around three weeks old so I only got to feed them a bit of medicated starter. The fourth chicken was fully grown by the time she wandered in my yard to freeload. My first feral chicken came to me only a couple days old (my cats bring chicks to me) so I was able to raised her on medicated feed until she reached “puberty.”

About a little over a month ago my mother took an interest into my chickens and has been trying to feed them. She would feed them on the ground with piles of table scraps in hopes they they would lay more eggs. She made a cockroach farm, mealworm farm (pretty successful), cricket farm, maggot farm, and composting worm farm.

I had to explain to her the dangers of feeding them food on the ground and not cleaning it up after (food was getting moldy and it was disgusting). I told her chickens can eat maggots but she was feeding the flies expired moldy food and I had to explain to her why she could’ve given the chickens botulism if she ever fed them the maggots. I also had to explain to her that feeding them too many table scraps and treats could be counterproductive and “dilute” their layer feed. I successfully convinced her to just let me do the feeding from this week on and my chickens have been right back on egg production. Thankfully, she got rid of the maggots before she fed them to my girls.

I feed all of my chickens off the ground, layer feed always available, penny peck treat feed always available, and maybe around four table spoons of scraps a day (could be fruit or veggies) for all seven of them with a side of grit and chili flakes in a tray. All of my egg layers have been back on regular egg production since I started feeding them this way.

I have a feeling that it’s one of the feral chickens because of how small the poop is (around the size of fish food pellets). I’ve looked it up and it could possibly be because of bacteria. If anyone has an idea what this could be or if I should worry, please let me know!

Attachments

• AB8B4942-851A-4C9A-B48A-DCB6018F3793.jpeg
    AB8B4942-851A-4C9A-B48A-DCB6018F3793.jpeg
    923 KB · Views: 17
Can you take some droppings in to a vet to get them tested for both coccidiosis and worms? The orange appearance might be from intestinal shed. If I saw more of this or any that looked lethargic, I would treat with Corid (amprollium) in the water for 5-7 days. For worming I recommend either Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer.

Can you take some droppings in to a vet to get them tested for both coccidiosis and worms? The orange appearance might be from intestinal shed. If I saw more of this or any that looked lethargic, I would treat with Corid (amprollium) in the water for 5-7 days. For worming I recommend either Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer.
Thank you! I will keep an eye on the droppings and if I see more, I will take the samples into the vet.

Back
Top Bottom