blood in poo.... what does this mean?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chopperchick, Feb 11, 2009.

1. chopperchick

chopperchick Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2008
    i have 4 week old chicks and 2 are very sick, they are very slow and unhappy and have quite alot of blood in poo, they were getting the medicated chick crumbs for 4 weeks and i have recently run out so were just getting maize and other goodies, any hope for the rest?

2. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    I would get more chicken starter, they should be fed that until they start laying eggs. If you are feeding Maize and goodies do they have grit? I would get them some antibiotics and chick starter and hope for the best. Cut out the other stuff til they get better.

3. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    bolod in poo... cocci or heavy worm burden.

4. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    4 week old chicks that are sick with blood in the droppings i'ts safe to assume they have coccidiosis..you need Sulmet or Corid...

5. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Blood in poo at that age is Cocci and you need to act "yesterday" meaning right away - get Sulmet and put it in their water. Treat for 5 days minimum. The rest can possibly be saved, Sulmet works fast but Cocci kills quickly especially after the bloody poo starts.

6. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    agree with Ruth...
    and get more chick feed/starter..
    and no more of the other stuff.

7. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Did you by chance get them vaccinated for cocci and feed them medicated feed? It is my understanding that you can do one or the other, but not both because they cancel each other out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by