? blood in poo

Thanks, I think you're right. I've started my other birds on the new wormer, they aren't showing any problems yet, but they are bigger to start with. I've always followed and kept up to date with the instructions on the wormer I had. I really hate the thought that I could have done something differently to avoid this, she's such a sweet little thing

There's no trace of blood in her poo, which is mostly water now.

Thanks for your help and support

xx

Yep, it is hard to tell when it get to the all water point. I was not saying you were doing anything wrong with your worming either, it just may be that the wormer you are using isn't effective on the worms they may have. Not all wormers work on the same things.

I'm so sorry -
Ivomec Eprinex "Pour-on" (small amount gets placed on the back of their neck) gets most worms. I have no idea if she would endure it right now.....
I feel really badly for you and for her....
JJ

Unfortunaley Lily died sometime last night. My two year old son keeps asking if he can have her back now
sad.png

I'm now in panic mode over our two twelve week old RIRxLS. They are showing what might be clotted blood bits in their poo. They seem very healthy and were treated with coxoid when we first got them three weeks ago as a preventative measure as we'd had an out break of coccidiosis right at the begining. Could they have coccidiosis? They only finished the coxoid treatment two weeks ago. They are kept in a new coup, on different land to where the outbreak occurred. I know our land will be contaminated with cocci, but the levels should be very low, and I keep the coup very clean. They free range with our older two birds (who are healthy) during the day.

I started all the birds on flubenvet yesterday in a last ditch attempt to save Lily (incase the verm-x wasn't working), I'm told I can't treat the birds with anything else (ie the coxoid) until seven days after they've finished the flubenvet treatment (7 days worth). I'm worried that I'm treating them for the wrong thing. Is there anything I can do?

Thankyou so much for your advice and help!

The active ingredient is flubendazole.

In a desparate atempt to find an answer we attempted an autopsy on our dead pekin. We've never done this before but I used to work in a histology lab and am familiar with human organs. We managed to identify (with the help of a diagram) the major organs. We found nothing that looked like worms, no blood (apart from a little in the heart) and no tumours. The only thing that looked out of the ordinary was was some pin prick sized red spots on the stomach wall and upper intestinal wall. They were small patches and there was no inflamation. There wasn't any obvious thickening of the walls. From what I've read, this would be consistent with coccidiosis, although I would have expected far more spots and blood in the intestines if that's what killed her. She had no fat on her at all and her breast bone stuck out very prominently.

I think we need to treat the others with coxoid as soon as possible. How much of a gap do I need to leave between taking away the flubenvet and starting the coxoid? Also we have two older pekins (about 18 months and almost two) who are healthy and I presume have some immunity already. Should I treat all the birds anyway?

Thankyou so much!!

If you feel this is the problem, I would lay off the wormer, and wait a week if they don't look to be real sick, and give them vitamin supplements, and put the feed to them. After that go ahead and treat them all for the cocci.

Thanks, I will follow your advice, remove the wormer and wait for a bit.

Does anyone know where I can find pictures of poo that contains bits of intestine that come away naturally? At this rate I'm gonna end up being a world authority on chicken poo!!

I've just found out that my girls had some "blood" in their poo before we got them (three weeks ago). Not sure if that changes anything. I've asked the person we got then from to check on the health of the other birds raised at the same time. Will let you know what happens......

Back
Top Bottom