Blood in poop - worms or other?

hkeibard

Songster
Oct 13, 2020
Jacksonville, FL
Hi - Help!
Yesterday I saw what looked like a tiny pool of watery blood in the run. I didn't know who did it.
This morning I found more blood in the coop. One spot seemed to be the same watery blood, the other spot was poop with blood in it. Photos attached.

There are poop boards under the roost and other than maybe one or two poops that seemed to have a little reddish tint to them over the past couple of weeks, I haven't seen anything else abnormal like this on the poop boards. I have been trying to visually inspect for worms but I can't say I've visibly seen any.

I think it's my Welsummer, Mary Jane. Current photo attached.
She is one year old this month (52 weeks on October 25th).

In the summer she got hit the hardest with fowl pox but recovered very nicely to go back to form and really become the nicest looking of my 8 bird flock. But a few weeks ago her looks really went down hill with lots of lost feathers, particularly on the neck. Everyone was molting to some extent (feathers every where) but she really took a hard hit. I've been separately upping her protein with some supplemental tuna fish. Her vent seems normal but she hasn't laid since about mid September, maybe longer. Her feathers are starting to come back though. However, she is really down on weight, going from pleasantly plump to rather skinny.

Behavior wise she is not lethargic at all. She tends to keep separate from the other birds, but she has been doing that since I got her. She's just a loner oddball. She eats the tuna fish voraciously and won a tug of war with another hen over a baby/tiny snake they found the other day. She can run like the devil and hop like a bunny.

Should I treat her / the flock for worms? I was thinking of getting some Safeguard but the worming thing is confusing to me still.

Might it be something else?
MJ Poop 1.jpg
MJ Poop 2.jpg
Mary Jane.jpg

All hens were chicks from Meyer Hatchery that were vaccinated. But they can still get it as adults - correct?

Can you give me a quick primer on how to dose the Corid? What I have is powder.

I just did a quick search and stole this from @Eggcessive because my phone isn't letting me post the link to the actual post:
The dosage of Corid amprollium is 1.5 teaspoonsful per gallon of water. The liquid dosage is 2 tsp or 10 ml per gallon, not 2 TB for 5-7 days. It is best to mix it daily since they can get fecal material in the drinker. But you can mix a larger amount, and keep it clean while feeding a smaller portion. Corid works by mimicing thiamine in the coccida oocyst. It is good to not give extra thiamine except what is in the food, when treating. You can then give Corid another 5-7 days at 1/4 of the dosage used initially.

OK. Holy Moly. Gonna go mix the Corid now.
This is the time of day I clean the waterers anyway.

As it so happens, I have a small bag of chick starter medicated feed. I bought it my mistake when I thought it might be a good way to up protein (until someone suggested tuna fish). I didn't realize it said medicated.

Switching food to that now - in addition to Corid water - good idea or bad?

OK. Holy Moly. Gonna go mix the Corid now.
This is the time of day I clean the waterers anyway.

As it so happens, I have a small bag of chick starter medicated feed. I bought it my mistake when I thought it might be a good way to up protein (until someone suggested tuna fish). I didn't realize it said medicated.

Switching food to that now - in addition to Corid water - good idea or bad?
I don't think that's necessary. I don't think there's much amprolium in the starter, but the powder should be enough.

Back
Top Bottom