blood in poop?

j2had2

In the Brooder
Sep 17, 2023
just saw this in my coop today and curious if anybody has any idea what it might be and cures or treatments! i’ve noticed this for about 2 weeks now (maybe 3 times in a 2 week span)

thank you

Attachments

• IMG_2902.jpeg
    IMG_2902.jpeg
    984.1 KB · Views: 54
gonna head to the store and get thyme and oregano oil heard it help’s adding it into there water

I would forget the herbs, and go get some Equimax horse paste to treat for tapeworms. There are at least 2 large segmented flat tapeworms at 12 and 2 o’clock in the picture. There are a few segments, and I am not sure if there are roundworms or if that is straw or bedding. There is a large amount of red intestinal lining. If you get the Equimax, give the chicken 0.16 ml orally for a 5 pound chicken. Repeat in 14 days. I am going to tag @dawg53 if he agrees. If you can’t get Equimax at your feed store, they may have Zimectrin Gold, and the dosage is different, so I can figure that.

Tapeworms have an intermediate host, such as earthworms, flies, snails and slugs, grasshoppers, and beetles. The chicken gets tapeworm from these insects that eat the tapeworm eggs or the segments that contain many eggs. Ridding your area of these intermediate hosts and cleaning up droppings may help eliminate the problem.

Only treat the chickens who are passing these tapeworms, since it it not necessary to treat all chickens. Give it orally and not in their water to make sure they get the proper dose.

I would forget the herbs, and go get some Equimax horse paste to treat for tapeworms. There are at least 2 large segmented flat tapeworms at 12 and 2 o’clock in the picture. There are a few segments, and I am not sure if there are roundworms or if that is straw or bedding. There is a large amount of red intestinal lining. If you get the Equimax, give the chicken 0.16 ml orally for a 5 pound chicken. Repeat in 14 days. I am going to tag @dawg53 if he agrees. If you can’t get Equimax at your feed store, they may have Zimectrin Gold, and the dosage is different, so I can figure that.

Tapeworms have an intermediate host, such as earthworms, flies, snails and slugs, grasshoppers, and beetles. The chicken gets tapeworm from these insects that eat the tapeworm eggs or the segments that contain many eggs. Ridding your area of these intermediate hosts and cleaning up droppings may help eliminate the problem.

Only treat the chickens who are passing these tapeworms, since it it not necessary to treat all chickens. Give it orally and not in their water to make sure they get the proper dose.
i wont be able to get any at the feed store i live so far from one about 15 hrs i normally order my stuff online. Do you have anything i can get at a target or something to help. im just gonna get the oregano and thyme and order what u said hopefully i can find it.

sorry stressed out about this

i also have no clue which one it is… one of them has a pale comb so maybe that one? all of them eat like pigs and are active

Attachments

• IMG_2909.jpeg
    IMG_2909.jpeg
    546.8 KB · Views: 10
What is your location? Can you isolate the hen with the pale comb overnight in a dog crate or pan, and monitor what her droppings look like in the morning? I would offer her some bits of liver or cooked hamburger for iron, in case she is anemic. Some poultry vitamins have some as well. I would urge you to get the wormer. Several wormers have the praziquantel that is the treatment for tapeworms. Droncit or Drontal are tablets used in dogs and cats for tapeworm as well. The horse wormers I mentioned in my last post are the easiest to find. Equimax is sold here and at other stores online:
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/equimax-ivermectin-187-praiquantel-1403-paste-642-g

woke up today nobody had bloody poop rveryone seems fine… i hopr dhe got it out of his system

woke up today nobody had bloody poop rveryone seems fine… i hopr dhe got it out of his system
I don’t think you understand that tapeworm will not work its way out of the system. I would look for a chicken that may be pale and skinny or who has lost weight. Then isolate them overnight, take some pictures of droppings to post. You may see white specks like rice that may be moving in a fresh dropping, or the long stringy flat and segmented tapeworms that contain hundreds of tapeworm eggs. No herbal remedy will work against tapeworms. Here is a good video of the tapeworm segments:

Back
Top Bottom