Blood on beak.

ChickenTaco

Hatching
8 Years
May 19, 2011
One of my 9 weeks old Tetra Tints has a sore above her beak. The other TT in my flock has been pecking at the other 2 chicks the last few days so I think that's where it came from. They have plenty of space, food and water, as well as attention. I'm not sure what's going on. I have wondered if the pecking one is a roo, but there's not many pics of TT Roos out there. Its face and comb are much redder than the other. I'm sure I sound like an idiot. I don't know what I should do. I don't want my chicks to be hurt. Help.
sad.png

Last edited:
Not an idiot at all! I'm new here, too. I can only tell you what worked for me, as opposed to a more seasoned chicken enthusiast's standard methodology. WHen I tried to introduce a RIR chick to my existing, they pecked at the same spot you mention. I separated her by a screen, but in the same box. The little gash healed on its own in about two days, and the other chicks seemed to get used to her presence without being able to really get at her. Once the wound healed and it was no longer a little red bulls-eye, I released her to the rest during a treat-food time. They were either too distracted to notice, or no longer cared. Good luck
smile.png

Another thing to consider is heat. If they are too warm they will peck also. You will be suprised how well chicks get along when they need to huddle to keep warm.... I'm not saying freeZe your birds but drop the temp 5 degrees by raising your light and watch. If they are cuddled under the light they are two cold and as I'm sure you already know if they are away from the heat it's to hot. And if they are almost feathered take the light away. They will get along better. Works for me.

Back
Top Bottom