Blood on egg - more than usual

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tovah, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Tovah

Tovah Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2011
    Oakland, California
    Hey all, need some advice. I have been pouring through all the older threads on this subject, but it seems that most everyone says if there is a little blood not to worry. How much is a little? I have a California While and she's been laying consistently 1/day since Oct. Every now and then an egg turns up with a speck or even smear of blood. I figured that comes with the process of laying. Today was more than a little blood (at least in my very inexperienced eye - new mom here [​IMG]). About 2/3rds of the egg is covered with blood. It is a smear and white still peaks through. I checked her bottom and everything looks clear and functional. No sign of blood either. Just want to make sure my baby is healthy. Thanks.

2. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    That does sound like too much to be normal. I get eggs with a smear now and then but never more than 1/6 of the egg is covered. You may want to take her to your Vet if you are concerned. I think that would be the safest thing to do. It could be worms or some other parasite. Or it may be the beginning of prolapse. A Vet will know.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  3. Bloomin' Chickens

Bloomin' Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2011
    I would just keep an eye on her and see how the next egg she lays looks. Chickens are pretty resilient.

4. Tovah

Tovah Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2011
    Oakland, California
    It is day three and every day so far our hen has laid a bloody egg. I think this is unusual. See photos. Do I need to take her to a vet? Is there someplace less expensive to determine what may be wrong and how to treat it? What about our other hens. Do I need to separate them?

Help!!!!

[​IMG]

E[​IMG]

5. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    Ouch! Poor girl. I get a smear every now and then, but have never seen that much blood on an egg. I'd take her to the vet if I were you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by