Blood on egg??? Nest in Shed??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by devora, Sep 12, 2007.

1. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

Finally one of our Leghorns gave us an egg! Unlike the others she did not lay in the coop but found a place in the shed. When we realized she was determined to lay there we put a box w/ some straw and it worked.

Two Qs:

Are there issues w/ this placement that I’m not foreseeing? (Trouble ahead?)

The egg was well-formed but had traces of blood on the outside. Any issues for her or is it just b/c it’s her first? (w/ others there was no blood)

Thanx for any help!

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

New layers sometimes have blood streaks on their eggs. I just got one from a girl who lays HUGE eggs that had a streak of blood, but she's going on two years old now. It just happens sometimes.
    As far as laying in the shed, if it's predator proof, that would be fine.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2007
  3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I agree....the blood is really no big deal. A few of my RIR lay HUGE eggs, and some times there is blood. As for the shed....will she have access to it every day?? Is it safe and warm??

4. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanx much for the help. Good to know the blood isn't and issue.

As for the shed, yes, she will have access every day but it's an open shed. No, it won't be warm in the winter. I guess I was thinking she'd do what she did today. She took a break from free ranging, hopped in the box, layed the egg, sang her dear heart out, then left. I'm missing something in this picture, aren't I?

5. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Well...I wouldnt say you are missing something...its just that..they dont lay at the same time every day...and if she is not free ranging all the time, wont have access to the nest/shed when she might be ready to lay.

6. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    yep, the coop with nest boxes and the hens being forced to stay inside for a couple of weeks does wonders.... After that period of time and being use to laying in the correct place, then even given freedom to free range will come back to the coop to lay, sing outloud and go back outside to freedom..... chickens perfect world.

bigzio

7. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    I got a blue egg today from one of my EE's. I'm thinking it's her first (the only EE that's been laying is Purdy and I don't think it was hers) because it was slightly larger than a typical pullet egg and it had blood streaks on it.

8. FrankBlissett

FrankBlissett Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    If you keep on taking the eggs, there's a good chance too that she'll find a new hidy-hole at some point. If you get a couple days where you haven't gotten an egg there, start keeping a close eye on her!

One thing that SEEMS to work for me is to keep one or two eggs in the nest (with a big X on them). While I'm not experienced enough in chickens to know for sure, it seems to keep them laying in their "secret" spot longer.

-Frank

9. cheeptrick

cheeptrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Frank...that is a great idea. I think I'll try that. Mine have stopped laying x 3 days. I've been worried they are hiding them from me. So far my 24 EE's 21 weeks old have only laid 4 eggs which started last Friday. I think its only one laying but have gotten 2 eggs which are bigger and rounder so I wonder if another is laying too. Golf balls are not really working anymore...they just kick them out of the nest. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by