Blood on waterer and feeder

WoodChic

The Chic Chick
10 Years
Oct 27, 2009
KKV HQ
When my brother went our to do the chickens this morning, the waterer and feeder were covered with blood. He said that some of the chickies had blood on their heads. Could this be result of frostbite? It has gotten in the teens at times. The chickens refuse to go outside, but we've been getting eggs pretty regular. We have about a foot and a half of snow. Huh???????????????????
hu.gif

That's exactly what appened to mine - the two leghorns with the biggest combs were getting picked on by an aggressive hen - blood all over the waterer and next box

I agree that it is likely some squabbling going on - combs can bleed a lot. If your chickens are inside due to cold weather, do your best to keep as much floor space as possible for them. Add activities to keep them occupied - hang a cabbage head, or apple on twine about chicken head height. Tie up a bunch of hay, or seedheads, etc.
Toss scratch or boss on the floor.

If you can create barriers so they can escape each other, that can help. If you are using white lite 24 hrs, try switching to red, and consider some off hours so they get a little darkness.

Watch out! bloody combs can lead to picking at the blood, and it can get pretty gruesome. Hence the distracting activities. If there are open wounds, try blue kote.

I agree it sounds like the signs of a squabble going on in the coop. If you have 2 roos, could be them battling. Could be top hen maintaining her pecking order. And could even be from a roo trying to breed an unwilling hen. Keep a close eye that things stay under control.

The bleeding has stopped comepletely! I'm still not sure exactly what it was, but its gone now.
tongue.png
Thanks everybody!

I had a blue Maran tear her comb a bit when she got it stuck on the freezing waterer the first day the temps dropped below freezing. There was blood everywhere and I saw the injury on her and treated it. It probably was something out of the scene from A Christmas Story when the kid gets his tounge stuck on the pole. I set up my water heater that day and all has been fine ever since.

Back
Top Bottom