Blood Smeared Eggs

dbounds10

Crowing
13 Years
Mar 15, 2011
Fort Worth, Tx
Just for my piece of mind, can someone take a look here? I have an 11 month old girl that has layed 65 eggs so far (with only 1 or 2 being bloody) before going into molt and winter break. IF she molted it was a very soft molt cause I saw very few black feather. Since starting back she’s layed 5 or so eggs and 3 have been blood smeared. Now I do have a little brown legbar frizzle that also lays blue but I’m almost sure it’s not her. They are all super healthy and on 20% Kalmbach layer feed with no treats. How long do I stay unconcerned about the bloody eggs? I took pictures of both blue layer booties today and I don’t see anything unusual. Can someone tell me if I should be concerned and if so, what should I be looking for? First pic is obviously the egg and the second is the butt in question and the last is the other possible offender.
@nuthatched @Eggcessive @aart @rosemarythyme

Attachments

• IMG_4295.jpeg
    IMG_4295.jpeg
    243 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4296.jpeg
    IMG_4296.jpeg
    425.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4297.jpeg
    IMG_4297.jpeg
    512.5 KB · Views: 5
Most likely a small blood vessel ruptured in the tract somewhere, so you won't see evidence of it externally. It's a fairly small amount of blood so it's not worrying IMO unless it continues.
How long should I let it continue without doing something? Like I wouldn’t know what I could do anyway lol.

Hmm not sure if there's anything you could do directly in this case (for example, if the birds were getting a lot of treats I'd suggest cutting back since excess fat can make laying more difficult) but if it continued I'd want to figure out which bird it was for sure, just to keep an eye on them and make sure they're still active and eating well.

I assume the eggshells are in good shape, no issue there (like softness, thin shell, etc.?)

Hmm not sure if there's anything you could do directly in this case (for example, if the birds were getting a lot of treats I'd suggest cutting back since excess fat can make laying more difficult) but if it continued I'd want to figure out which bird it was for sure, just to keep an eye on them and make sure they're still active and eating well.

I assume the eggshells are in good shape, no issue there (like softness, thin shell, etc.?)
Nope, shells seem ok. I offer oyster on the side in addition to the feed. I mean I don’t have to smash them to break but they don’t just explode when I crack them either. Normal for my girls I would say.

Back
Top Bottom