Blood Spots in Eggs- Can you prevent?

BeyondBlessed

Songster
Jun 10, 2022
Hey chicken friends! My girls have begun laying, and some for a few weeks now. But I have noticed (even when purchasing eggs from a friend) that one breed tends to have more blood spots in eggs, than others. We have lavender orpingtons, black copper marans, and Crested Cream legbars. I have noticed that we have about 50/50 on whether the eggs from the BCM will contain blood spots. These are the same eggs that would usually contain the blood spots from my friend, as well. Is this a breed thing? Can anything be done to prevent? The blood spots are quite small... but I end up feeding those eggs back to the girls. So, I would love to prevent so we have more eggs for us. 😅

I feel like they are quite spoiled with their food choices, but, not sure if that matters for this situation.

Thanks so much!!

There isn't a way to get rid of blood spots. Some hens are just more prone to laying eggs with them. The eggs with blood spots are perfectly safe to eat and don't affect the taste. If is still makes you squeamish you can pick the spots out.
Thank you!! I actually just found another post where many responded that their BCM have the same problem. And only their BCM. I am really thinking this could be genetics!

Update: after reading another thread with this happening within their black copper marans... I decided to check the ratio in ours. I had 16 black copper maran eggs... 14 were bad (meat and/or blood spots), and 2 were good. I don't think we will be keeping these girls around, unfortunately. :(

Also as a reminder- this is only happening in our BCM eggs, not the other breeds. I truly think this is a genetic issue.

I think it's genetics at work too. Some birds just do this more than others. It's not a big deal, but if it offends you, move those layers on elsewhere.
Our French Marans hens, who produce those dark chocolate eggs, also have more 'stuff' stuck to the outside of each shell, because the 'excess' pigment that makes the shell dark also is damp and sticky longer after the egg is in the nest.
And then there are hens who insist on pooping in the nest, also not helpful.
Occasionally there's a hen (we've had one) who has a structural problem at her cloaca, so she defecates right after laying every time.
Mary

Update: after reading another thread with this happening within their black copper marans... I decided to check the ratio in ours. I had 16 black copper maran eggs... 14 were bad (meat and/or blood spots), and 2 were good. I don't think we will be keeping these girls around, unfortunately. :(

Also as a reminder- this is only happening in our BCM eggs, not the other breeds. I truly think this is a genetic issue.
Ya i was very disappointed after getting two BCM that their eggs consistently have meat spots. I contacted the breeder and she said it’s common with BCM. Their eggs are so
Pretty but I hate to give them as gifts because of the meat spots

Ya i was very disappointed after getting two BCM that their eggs consistently have meat spots. I contacted the breeder and she said it’s common with BCM. Their eggs are so
Pretty but I hate to give them as gifts because of the meat spots
They are still perfectly safe to eat.

Back
Top Bottom