Blood spots in eggs without a roo?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NaturalChick, Aug 28, 2008.

1. NaturalChick

NaturalChick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2008
    Colorado
    I am still getting starter eggs from my Production Reds and Ameraucanas and have just noticed the little pin head sized blood spot that I thought was only possible by fertilization from a rooster. Am I wrong? Can all eggs have that little spot? Thanks.

2. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    my hens lay eggs with a spot like a bull's eye on them but we do not have a roo. i think there is a thread somewhere where someone posted pics of fertilized and un-fertilized eggs. as for blood spots, they can happen to any egg, with or without fertilization. [​IMG]

3. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Blood spots have nothing to do with fertilization. Blood spots occur when blood or a bit of tissue is released along with a yolk. I've read that blood spots occur in less than 1% of all eggs laid.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Quote:Exactly.....they are also called meatspots and can be scooped out of the egg, not harmful at all....nothing whatsoever to do with a rooster/fertilzation.

5. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Also, blood spots absorb into the yolk eventually. I did an experiment with a hen that always lays eggs with blood spots, and found that if I wait 2 weeks before cracking her eggs, I no longer see blood spots in them. Good to know for sales eggs!

Since they are new layers, I wouldn't worry; sometimes, it takes time for their egg-laying gear to work out the kinks.

Blood spots are different from meat spots; blood spots literally look like flecks of blood, and meat spots literally look like little chunks of...well....meat. They're kinda gross, IMO!!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by