Blood spots???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by beeksnfeet, Feb 8, 2015.

1. beeksnfeet

beeksnfeet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    IL/WI border
    Our 3 Buff Orps starting molting back in the fall. It was the first molt for them and one actually molted nearly 11 weeks. The other 2 weren't far behind. Then winter set in. No eggs since September so you can imagine how excited I was to see our first egg a few weeks back. Only one of our girls is laying, but I know that will change once the sun light increases. I've noticed every time I crack open an egg, there is a small blood spot. At least I am assuming it is a blood spot. (Ya know what they say....One should never assume!) What causes this to happen? Can I be doing something to stop this from happening? :/

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    I'm sure there are other causes and someone else can tell you. But one cause of blood spots is actually genetic. So basically when you get a hen like this you may not want to breed her because then her offspring may carry that trait. Eggs with blood spots bring it down to a grade B or Inedible depending on how bad it is.

3. beeksnfeet

Jun 29, 2012
    IL/WI border
    Thanks for the reply. It just seems odd because I had never seen this in any of their eggs from last year. And we did get quite a few! It is just a very small spot, sometimes two. I just remove them, but I hate to share eggs with family if this is going to keep happening. It DOES NOT bother me, but ya just don't know about others. At first I though it was a speck of pepper in the bowl. Then when I cracked the second one open and the third........well, I figured something must be up. Do you think it would be genetics if it did not happen last year? Our girls are not for breeding, just laying so if it is genetics it won't go any further.

4. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    If that bird was not laying blood spot/meat spot eggs before stopping for molt, it should stop happening soon. It could be little specks of reproductive tract lining or little capillaries in the reproductive tract rupturing as she restarts production. As long as the spots are say, felt tip pen dot small, the eggs are perfectly edible. and bird is ok. [​IMG]

5. beeksnfeet

Jun 29, 2012
    IL/WI border
    Yes! The spots are tiny, little specks. Eggs taste great and seem normal in all other ways. Agnes (I think my laying hen) is fine and just as jazzy as she has always been! She's the smallest and the craziest one. Go Figure!: :p

6. Watermelon123

Watermelon123 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jan 31, 2015
    Northern Ohio,
    1 person likes this.
  7. beeksnfeet

Jun 29, 2012
    IL/WI border
    Wow! Thanks so much. This article was very informative. I have come to find out that my problem is not blood spots, but meat spots. I sure do appreciate your efforts! just wish my problem had a different name.....meat spots sounds better then blood spots, but it still sounds gross!! Thanks again.:p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by