blood tinged mucous with pictures...What does she have?

winekntrychicks

Pooper Peeper
11 Years
Jul 26, 2008
Sebastopol, CA
My EE is listless but alert. Pooped blood tinged mucous. She is sitting low with head tucked into shoulders, Could this be Cocci??
Here is a picture. Smells like when the puppy she had worms. Iron. That long piece of whatever is forest green. They had new grass that I cut for them. They are 24 weeks. They do not free range I have them in a run and coop. She has been laying regularly for 3 weeks.
IMG_1136.jpg

IMG_1135.jpg

Last edited:
IF it were my bird, I'd put her on a antibiotic, I use Sulmet only because that is what I have. Speckled hen, on another post tells of another type of antibiotic. I would also make sure she drank plenty- off her a dish of water if you can but you cannot force her to drink unless you want to take a spoon and dribble it along side her beak.... There can be many different types of things that cause a bloody stool (and I do not know them).

Some of the first questions are going to be - How old is she? How long do you think its going on? Has she been outdoors on soil? Could she be egg bound? Is she eating at all? Is she moulting? Do you see any others with like stances? Does her comb seem warmer then others? hmmm, dunno anyother questions that they would ask, but some of the ones I asked may help the ones that know their stuff- like dlunicorn, speckledhen and many other moderators and members.

Good luck and sorry to hear about your ill chicken, hang in there!!!

Thanks. Dh said she was really quiet yesturday. Had company so I never made it down to the coop to do roll call and check every one out. I found her this way this morning. I waited for her to poop and thats what I got. One of the barred rocks started to eat on it. GREAT!!!

get a faecal ... (cocci recquires a specific type of med to treat which is not helpful for other conditions that might be causing this if no cocci problem shows up in the faecal)
Other possibilities are capilaria (worms) or enteritis. It looks as though she is not processing her feed (called feed passage) which might be due to enteritis/dysbacteriosis which might be in combination with a capilaria problem.
Have you had this bird since a chick or have you recently acquired it?
Did you use med starter as chicks?
Have you ever wormed (and when and with what?)

Last edited:
dlhonicorn, I hate to break in but suddenly my 6 month old non laying otherwise healthy brahma started last night haveing bloody mucous slightly formed with the reg. stool also I noticed that she seems to be breathing harder in the neck area. No gapping, shes eating well drinking well playing with the other brahma in the fence but then goes into the perch and sits sometimes for 20 miniutes. I only have the two. Brand new coop and had them about a month. please help us both. Oh they are on the medicated feed and were wormed 2 weeks ago.Jean

Quote:
I have had her since 3days old from the feed store. All birds have been on Med start and grow untill 19 week of age.
Have never wormed. They are 24 weeks old. The local vet wants 55 dollars for an exam, my husband is not in agreement with that. She is a pet to me. I started her on sulmet yesterday.
She seems to have an aversion to food. I have been force feeding her yogurt and crushed oatmeal in a paste. They have a dry coop with deep litter (since Aug) and a 12X8 run. I had pine shaving in the run as well until it rained and started to sour. I cleaned the run out yesterday( maybe to late) Please advise Further. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom