blood umbilicus on several from this hatch.. why?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Hennypen, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Hennypen

Hennypen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    My first hatch went great. All of the chicks were super healthy from the start with normal umbilicals. My second hatch had several (5) out of 11 have bloody umbilicals. Those chicks are a little slower to get going. They seem to perk up but they aren't as strong. They all hatched out on their own and I think will be normal chicks, they're just slower than the normal chicks.

My question is: What causes the bloody umbilicals? The chicks hatched out of schedule but there was more blood on the inside of the shells than the first hatch. Why? Is it something to do with incubator hatching conditions? Everything was the same, no temp changes, etc...

Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  2. darkbrowneggs

darkbrowneggs Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2010
    Worcester England
    Hi Henny Penny

Did you thoroughly disinfect all the equipment. Chicks, and even eggs can get infected which is why they say to wash your hands before handling hatching eggs or hatching chicks. Apparently even too high humidity can cause Omphalitis - I used to call it Navel Ill This is a link, but hopefully yours wont develop into this

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/203800.htm

All the best
    Sue

3. Hennypen

Jun 14, 2009
    Yep, I disinfected everything with Tektrol after the last hatch.

These eggs were dirty when I received them (feces from the parents I assume). I didn't clean them, but could that have caused it? I didn't handle them much and when I did, I used rubber gloves new each time. They were placed in a new egg carton with new shelf liner over the wire.

Ok.. just read the link... Does this mean all of the chicks with this condition are going to die? [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] If the filth on the eggs caused this... I'm furious. They were not inexpensive eggs and now the chicks will suffer due to it.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Bloody navals can also be cause by slightly higher temps duing hatch and high humidity. These factors seem to affect absorption and healing of the naval. If that's the case, I think they will be fine.

5. Hennypen

Jun 14, 2009
    I HOPE that's the case. I kind of doubt it because I have a Genesis Hovabator with egg turner. The temps and humidity levels are spot on. 50% humidity was the highest it went and the temp stayed constant. Nothing was changed between the first hatch and the last hatch except it was completely disinfected between hatches.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!

6. mlove

mlove Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    tx
    Hennypen, I hope your chicks all do great. [​IMG]

This is my first time incubating and the first chick (silkie) that hatched today has a very bloody umbilical, is acting weak, moving slow and seems sleepy. Hopefully it pulls through. The second chick (polish) is doing great and is super active and loud.

7. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Hi,
    I hatched a batch who were bloody at the umbilicus after leaving the incubator for 6 months AND thoroughly sterilising before use. I think the problem is with the humidity. I always aim for 60-65% humidity on hatching.

Good Luck,
    Sandie

8. Hennypen

Jun 14, 2009
    My humidity was 70% at lockdown.

Did your chicks make it?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  9. Hennypen

Jun 14, 2009
    So far everyone is ok.

10. Sageblossom

Sageblossom New Egg

Sep 8, 2010
    My incubator was running too high in humidity and I had several chicks with poor healing and infected navels. I found that if I applied Schreiner's Herbal Solution to them twice a day for about a week, it saved them all and dried up their belly buttons. (I found Herbal Solution at my local feed store.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by