*Blood Warning*Dead Chicken Found In Pen

Alek

Chirping
Feb 20, 2021
Today when I was walking into my chicken pen I spotted one of my chickens splayed out on the ground seemingly dead(spoiler alert she was dead). She hadn't appeared to be injured the previous day and we have bricks lining the bottom of the fencing, the coop was locked, and they have a net over their pen. So what could've gotten in and killed her? I don't think it would've been the other chickens since all of my Lavenders seem to be at least middle class on the pecking hierarchy. We do have one rooster in there but I've never seen him be too aggressive with the hens and when I went in there he was trying to put up an intimidation display and peck me.

Attachments

• 20211123_160630.jpg
    20211123_160630.jpg
    929.8 KB · Views: 54
  • 20211123_160619.jpg
    20211123_160619.jpg
    875.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 20211123_160624.jpg
    20211123_160624.jpg
    1,007.9 KB · Views: 13
Not knowing where you live and what predators may be lurking, it's hard to say. Put up a camera and see if anything is lurking. If a predator did kill your bird, it will be back. I had a fox kill some birds and never ate on them but I did catch it in the act of killing and I did eliminate it. Good luck...

Not knowing where you live and what predators may be lurking, it's hard to say. Put up a camera and see if anything is lurking. If a predator did kill your bird, it will be back. I had a fox kill some birds and never ate on them but I did catch it in the act of killing and I did eliminate it. Good luck...
I live near raccoons, opossums, coyotes, owls, rare bald eagles, rare wolves I think, hawks, and snakes. But keep in mind I do have a net over their coop and it didn't appear to have been messed with.

Any places where something was able to be breached. If you have weasels they can get through the tiniest places and are killers. I have netting completely covering all of my pens but a weasel would be able to get through. Luckily there aren't any where I live. I would still suggest putting up a camera and see what lurks. I was surprised at the predators that roam around here especially at night. I have some cameras mounted on post that I can move around. Good luck...

I have several cameras identical to this camera, they are manufactures under several different names but take very good nighttime pictures when the predators roam here.
https://www.amazon.com/RINKMO-Secur...PT,B099K6RYTG,B09J7X465V&srpt=SECURITY_CAMERA

I live near raccoons, opossums, coyotes, owls, rare bald eagles, rare wolves I think, hawks, and snakes. But keep in mind I do have a net over their coop and it didn't appear to have been messed with.
If your coop is predator proof and locked (nothing can get inside) then the other chickens likely killed it .It looks like something ate on her when I zoomed in.

Back
Top Bottom