Bloody Back, Missing Feathers, and Now Other Hends Missing Feathers

puisheb

Chirping
Dec 28, 2020
Nunn, Colorado
Hi All

First & most important, this website's participants are godsends. Thank you for sharing your knowledge! I did a search through the forums and I believe that my rooster is likely the culprit. However, as I am new at having chickens, I wanted to reach out to the hive mind and see what you think of what I plan to do about this.

Background: I have 9 hens & 1 rooster, all Buff Orpingtons, which I picked up as chicks on 5/14/21. They live in a 12x12 insulated coop, with 3 windows for light & ventilation vents. The outdoor run is not yet completed (a variety of family medical emergencies followed by weather has delayed us significantly). They have 3 feed tubes (I wanted to limit resource guarding & fighting). When I bring in mealworms, sunflower seeds, crack, etc, I divide it into 3 different spots, again in an attempt to allow everyone to eat peacefully. I try to put something interesting for them to eat that is different once a week. They have a large waterer and nesting boxes – though I find that their favorite nesting spots are under the boxes and next to the feed bin. I see that at night, while they have a roosting bar that extends across the coop, thus it is 12 feet long – they generally all like to bunch up next to each other. I do not watch them throughout the day, as I am in and out for my work.

Last Sat (2/7/22), I walked into the coop to find one of my hens with a bloody, featherless back area. I included pictures in this post.
bloody hen.jpg

After reading about possible causes, I separated her from the flock by putting her in a medium dog crate that fits within the coop itself so that she is safe from picking, but still with her flock. The crate has food, water, and I created a little roost for her by suspending a cat sling. (She actually uses it) She was quite vocal about being separated like this and continues to vocalize when I go into her crate and change her water and exchange bedding. Over the week, she produced 4 eggs.

Over the week, I became hypersensitive to my hens’ appearance. Today, I have taken note that other hens seem to be heading in the same direction: their “fluff” is showing, feathers are disappearing, and at least 2 have super short feathers around the top of their necks as though the feathers there are being chopped. I have attached picts here too.
more hens missing feathers.jpg

missing feathers with rooster in pict.jpg

Please pardon my newbie language here – I am thinking that my rooster is addicted to mating (or at least mating attempts) and this may be the cause of my hens’ problems. I have noticed that as I am in the coop daily, he attempts to mate with hends. It’s never a very happy sounding or looking event. Admittedly, I am new so perhaps this is not a pleasant event - I don't know.

Here’s what I plan to do tomorrow. Please tell me what you think. I am going to swap out my current “patient” from the dog crate and put the rooster in there instead. Perhaps he needs some days to just chill and not be so sex-crazed. Perhaps after a week or 2 or 3 weeks, I will let him out and see how he does. I have a camera in the coop so I could watch what happens at a few points in the day. I hope we can get this outdoor run done, though I am not certain that the additional space will reduce his teenage libido.

I am open to your thoughts and suggestions on what I plan to do and perhaps other actions I should consider.

Thank you!
Newbie Chicken Owner
Emily in Colorado

Putting the rooster into segregation is what a lot of us do. Roosters (actually yours is a cockerel for another couple months) are content being in a small space as long as they can see and talk to the hens.

It does appear your hens are developing rooster mating damage. But there also could be a feather picker in the flock. Get some Blu-kote and use it on the bloody back of the one hen to help heal it and camouflage the wound so the hens don't pick at it while it heals.

I have two roosters presently. They are the victims of predatory hen damage in the form of losing feathers from their necks and saddles to hens obsessed with the delicate slender feathers. So they spend much of the day either free ranging or in their own smaller run. This spares their feathers and also cuts down on the amount of mating that takes place and the hens' feathers don't suffer as much, either. They all get time together when they free range for an hour or two in the afternoon. This is plenty to satisfy both hens' needs and rooster needs. Continual access is not necessary for fertilization. If fertile eggs are optional, then roosters don't need any time with the hens unless you wish them to have a sex life. It won't hurt any of them if they don't.

Thank you! Good to know that the Blue Kote I put on her before I put her in the crate was the right choice! Should I apply it again before I release her into the flock?

Also, will a few weeks of being separated in the crate perhaps help the situation or have no effect on it?

Continue the Blu-kote each day until the back heals.

Unfortunately, separating hens and roosters does nothing to decrease their hormones and sex drives. You aren't stopping it so much as interrupting it. At anytime, you can let them all back together, and the fun will resume as if they had never been interrupted.

Continue the Blu-kote each day until the back heals.

Unfortunately, separating hens and roosters does nothing to decrease their hormones and sex drives. You aren't stopping it so much as interrupting it. At anytime, you can let them all back together, and the fun will resume as if they had never been interrupted.
Thank you! Good to know I need to treat each day. I didn't want to overdo it.

Would those little chicken saddle "jackets" help? Do they at all interrupt the rooster's activity? Heaven knows I have enough fabric laying around that I could figure something out or surrender and buy a few.

Does additional space make any difference or am I grasping at straws to keep the rooster? The reason I ask is that we are aiming to continue the outdoor run project tomorrow as we are due for nice weather. This has not been a one-day project as we have rattlesnakes galore, and eagles, hawks, bull snakes, coyotes, and foxes that all call our property home. In addition to fencing overhead, we are adding hardwire cloth to the outside surrounding perimeter to prevent snakes. It feels as though we are creating the Fort Knox of Chicken Runs!

Thank you for your suggestions!
Emily and Her Desperate Hens ;-)

Back
Top Bottom