Bloody chick poop,what to do now?

Apr 17, 2022
Denmark
I have 6 chicks who are 5 weeks old and this mornign 3 of the chicks pooped a bloody poop

Our vet is a bum so my guess is that she won’t help but is there anything you can get at the vet that can treat cosidiosis?
They are on non medicated feed so that mama hen can eat the same food as them but can it save them if I transfer to medicated feed now?

Do you have any pictures of the poop? Are any acting lethargic, not eating, and sitting around fluffed up? I would get some amprollium, toltrazuril, or a sulfonamide antibiotic to treat your chicks for coccidiosis. I’m not familiar with what you have available in Denmark, but I would ask where you buy feed or chicken supplies. Medicated feed would not treat an outbreak of coccidiosis, although adults chickens can eat medicated feed. What is the ingredient in it—amprollium or something else.

Do you have any pictures of the poop? Are any acting lethargic, not eating, and sitting around fluffed up? I would get some amprollium, toltrazuril, or a sulfonamide antibiotic to treat your chicks for coccidiosis. I’m not familiar with what you have available in Denmark, but I would ask where you buy feed or chicken supplies. Medicated feed would not treat an outbreak of coccidiosis, although adults chickens can eat medicated feed. What is the ingredient in it—amprollium or something else.
I dont have any pictures rn but I can get some later today. They are all acting normal just bloody poop, not all their poops are bloody only 3 poops out of the about 15 they layed this morning were bloody. I have contacted the vet and they wouldn’t give me anything she just said some herbs to give them. All of the medication needs a vet to give them to you unfortunately

I would make sure that they are drinking well. Probiotics, plain yogurt with cultures might help. Can people with pet pigeons or fish get sulfa antibiotics there?

Last edited:
This is one of their poops, don’t see any in their brooder just in the floor and I have only seen 4, 3 of them were very wet and one of them was just a little bit of blood
IMG_9062.jpeg

UPDATE: the chicks have now been on some kind of herb called Artemisia annua, I have read that it could cure coccidiosis so I gave it a go and I also got some medicated pheasants feed as it is now illegal to buy medicated chick starter

One of the chick were pretty sick and I separated it from the flock and it is doing better, not great but it is showing improvement.
The rest of the chicks are getting the same treatment as the sick chick so I’m hoping they will recover🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

UPDATE: they did have coccidiosis but we gave them some Chinese herb and it helped a lot, unfortunately we lost one chick but the other 5 are healthy and we haven’t seen any bloody poop for a very long time now😊

Back
Top Bottom