Bloody Comb Frostbite?

newrooster

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 13, 2010
Wife and I new to chicken raising have 10 hens one rooster already having problems,

Rooster may be to young only about 10 months old hens all about 1 to 1 1/2 years old got Rooster and to hens when young dogs got the hens built new coop and coverd run got new hens about a month ago after introducing Rooster slowy things seemed to be going good got cold so they are spending most of the time inside the coop its about 8 ft by 8ft with a 15 by 15 covered run now rooster is in the basment with a bloody comb healing, Dont think its frostbite hasnt been much below 30 more than a night inside coop
comb is bloody sort of runny cleamed him up put neosporin on it waiting for it to heal before i try putting him back
mostly on the back of his comb
there is some runny dropping not sure whos yet
rooster is buff orpington
hens 2 rhode island reds
2 silverlace wyondottes
2 black sex links
2 gold lace
1 auracan
1 buff orpington

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC!

Unless there is quite a bit of tearing, i wouldn't worry too much. Sometimes it takes a little bit for a young rooster to establish his dominance with the flock. But separating him from the girls doesn't really help him much. Combs usually scab over pretty easily. If it does, i would put him back right away. Unless the hens are ganging up on him and really hurting him (more than just his comb), i would let it be so they can work out their social issues.

Ok ill just give him time to scab up he was pretty bloody and im sure they were pecking on him once they got a taste

73804_000_0034.jpg

wow looks like frostbite to me dont understand, wsnt under freezing but on or to nights in the coop and not real cold at that Nuggets been in the basment for three days been real cold thos week and the girls in the coop seem fine, Looks like we are going to hae to heat the coop its insulated vented weel dont know what else to do keep vents and door closed on cold nights have a thermometer so I know it what the temp has been inside, what a mess hes such a cool bird freindly and tuff

wow looks like frostbite to me dont understand, wasnt under freezing but one or two nights in the coop and not real cold at that, Nuggets been in the basment for three days been real cold thisweek , but still not to bad in coop and the girls in the coop seem fine, Looks like we are going to hae to heat the coop its insulated vented weel dont know what else to do keep vents and door closed on cold nights have a thermometer so I know it what the temp has been inside, what a mess hes such a cool bird freindly and tuff

My little banty rooster has the same problem. I can't figure out if it's frostbite or if the other rooster, who is just barely an adult, is vying for dominance and hurting Larry (the banty). Do roosters do that, anybody know? Hate to say it, but if that is the case, the young rooster will have to go. I love Larry. He lets me hold him.
big_smile.png

My rooster Jerry has the same looking comb. He was attacked by a coyote a week ago and I notice some scratches on his comb from the attack but I'm not sure if the darkness is from the attack or the cold. My hens all look well.

It looks like frostbite to me.

Keep watch on the comb for any sign of infection. Apply a triple antibiotic spray instead of an ointment, it won't be as painful being applied as a cream/ointment. The less handling of the comb and wattles the better. The black tips/tissue will most likely fall off, but barring any infection it should heal in time.

Even though you feel like your temps have not been that cold - exposure, moisture, wind/drafts and not enough ventilation can cause frostbite. You want to eliminate drafts, but have ventilation that will move moisture up and out of the coop. It can be a bit of trial and error sometimes.

Here is a good link to read about frostbite:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/12/frostbit-in-backyard-chickens-causes.html

Wife and I new to chicken raising have 10 hens one rooster already having problems,

Rooster may be to young only about 10 months old hens all about 1 to 1 1/2 years old got Rooster and to hens when young dogs got the hens built new coop and coverd run got new hens about a month ago after introducing Rooster slowy things seemed to be going good got cold so they are spending most of the time inside the coop its about 8 ft by 8ft with a 15 by 15 covered run now rooster is in the basment with a bloody comb healing, Dont think its frostbite hasnt been much below 30 more than a night inside coop
comb is bloody sort of runny cleamed him up put neosporin on it waiting for it to heal before i try putting him back
mostly on the back of his comb
there is some runny dropping not sure whos yet
rooster is buff orpington
hens 2 rhode island reds
2 silverlace wyondottes
2 black sex links
2 gold lace
1 auracan
1 buff orpington

You'll need better ventilation in your coop. Go against your inclination to close up your coop tightly due to cold weather and open up some good spaces at the top of the coop above your roosts and some good fresh air intake below, which will move the bird's own humidity up and out of the coop at night.

Meanwhile, you can put some castor oil on those dead areas on his comb and wattles and you just may be able to save that tissue and speed healing. You can find castor oil at your local Walmart pharmacy in the laxative aisle. Massage it thoroughly into his comb and wattles and let it work. It might help you save his comb from further damage and regain blood supply to those dead areas before it's too late.

Back
Top Bottom