Bloody Egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pamsmithtulsa, Dec 8, 2013.

1. pamsmithtulsa

pamsmithtulsa Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2013
    Oklahoma
    Cracked open one of our eggs this morning and found this. Ewww...

Is it a fertilized egg? We have only just discovered that one of our bantams is a roo, but don't think is old enough or big enough to breed with our big girls....at least yet.

Thoughts?

[​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Sometimes, a blood vessel ruptures in a hen's oviduct or a piece of tissue gets lodged in the egg, and causes this. Its just a fluke ocurrence that happens every so often. It may be unappetizing, but doesn't mean that your hen is sick.

You won't see blood in a fertile egg until it has been incubated for several days. There's only one subtle difference between a fertile fresh egg and an infertile fresh egg. A fertile egg will have a tiny white spot that forms a bull's-eye on the yolk (kind of like a doughnut). Infertile eggs will have a white spot too, but it will be poorly formed, without a hole in the middle.

4. pamsmithtulsa

pamsmithtulsa Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2013
    Oklahoma
    Thank you so much for your replies!! They ease my mind. :)

5. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    That is why when using eggs from my own flock I always break them one at a time into a clean coffee cup before adding that egg to the other ingredients.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by