bloody head

TheRealTimShady

Crowing
12 Years
May 23, 2011
Apollo, PA
so i got 6 females in a 45gal tote, they are about 4 weeks old now, just waiting a couple more weeks to introduce them to my other 4 females in the main coop outside. went to the brooder today to redo water/feed/sand stuff like that and one of my girls had a bloody head above the beak..i cleaned her up and put some neosporin(its all i have at the moment) on the wound, i'm gonna keep her separate for a few hours until it dries up.

any advice other then "more space" as that really isn't avail. right now(other then putting the females all together in the 6'x2'x2' coop outside.

neosporin works great on chickens.

It seems like once birds see blood they keep pecking. Bluekote from the farm store hides the red of the blood while disinfecting. some folks put other things in the brooder for the chicks to peck like foil pans.

i observed them while i had the other girl out, saw one that was bigger then the others, pecking at anything that walked past it...so her big ass went out into the big coop with the adults(oddly enough she isn't almost their size already) there is plenty of room out there i think she will be fine. i'll have to go to the farm store tomorrow by my house and get some blue cote as well, they are closed on sundays D:.

might get them a cuddlefish bone to peck at as well.

Back
Top Bottom