***Bloody Poo in 7 mo. old **** Help!

BayCityBabe

Songster
11 Years
May 1, 2008
I have some 2 y.o. chickens and some 7 month olds. They roost on opposite sides of my coop. This morning I found a blob of very bloody poo under the youngsters' roost. I was under the impression that Cocci is not a problem for birds over 4 months old, but I am thinking this is what it is.

I would like advice on how to procede. I have some Sulmet. Could I give the entire flock that? Should I isolate only my young ones? I would have to wait days to get my hands on any Corrid. Help me, please, friends!

Coccidia is a problem in any bird that has been exposed to it, and is not already immune. Typically this is the younger crowd- but if there have been new birds introduced to an area- you can see the problem. They get exposed to it via soil, damp soil especially. That said, other things can cause bloody stool- but in young birds- bloody stool is usually coccida until proven otherwise. Occasionally blood in the feces (or on an egg) can happen when they start laying or lay a large egg. The 'vent' is where the repro tract and the GI tract empty out the same hole- so material from both tracts mix before exiting the body. Also eating tomatoes/strawberries ect can cause bloody looking poop, that is not blood...

Back
Top Bottom