Bloody poo in new chick-HELP

karri25

Songster
12 Years
Feb 5, 2007
Arkansas
I have a new chick with really bloody poo. I looked up info on coccidosis and it says thta the poo would only have a little blood in it. It is bad enough that there are little blood spots in the shavings. I am deeply concerned and hoping that someone can help me!

Other people know much more than I, so I'm sure the experts will chime in soon.

In the meantime, seperate this baby from any other birds (maybe rig up a mirror or give her a stuffed toy to cuddle). Keep her warm and cozy.

I hope your baby is ok.

Meghan

It is most likely coccidosis. it says in Storey's that if there is a large amount of blood that survival is unlikely. Sorry. It does say that if you take it to the vet and get a stool sample that they can find out which strain it is and they can try to treat it and they may make it but the bird may not thrive. That is all I found. Sorry that I dont have better news. Good luck!
Kristyne

Yes. I had the same problem with a late summer hatch that caught it three days after a heavy rain. Amprol cleared it up in 3 days and birds were all good again. I got the stuff from the feed store as soon as they opened after the weekend, and by that time some of my birds looked about to die pooing all blood. Luckily though, none were lost and the medication did the trick. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom