Bloody poop, weak chick

Dutchgirl

Not Dutch!
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
U.S.A.
We have some groups of chicks that are a few weeks old. One hen has three chicks - two Standard-size, and one bantam-size. The bantam, which was fine before, has been acting very weak. Unfortunately because of the normal size difference I can't compare the chicks to determine whether she's growing or not, but it appears that she is a lot smaller than the others.

She can't hop up the steps that the others can easily fly up. She peeps constantly and seems to be really tired.

Also, I'm finding bloody poops in their area. They have not been getting any medication and they've been being fed layer food.
hide.gif
I know, I know. Shame on us. We're going to feed them chick food now, though. But we never give our chicks medicated feed. Is that okay? Is there anything that can be done? I know that this probably means Cocci virus, and I'm really scared. I heard that it stays in the ground forever, so the other chickens (which walk around where the chicks are) could easily get it.

What should we do? Would it be better to put the chick out of its misery? And how should we treat the Cocci?

Bloody poo in chicks is often cocci. You need a product called Corid, that you put in their drinking water, and get that very quickly. If there's no Corid, then Sulmet will work, but I like Corid better because it's more gentle on their systems.

I would put it in the drinking water that everyone is using. Adult birds usually don't get cocci (that would be chickens 17 weeks or older).

I did have to clean the chicken run, which was dirt when this happened to some of my chicks. I was like "Gosh how in the world do you clean dirt?!" Well, you rake out all the droppings and whatever, and then you pour bleach all over the dirt. Of couse, you chickens can't be near that until it dries totally.

Cocci was bad the year my chicks got it, because it was hot, humid, and rainy where I live, which is Ohio. That is the perfect environment for cocci to thrive.

Now, Corid is a powder that comes in a packet. I believe TSC sells it, and it cost $20.00. Works very well. I didn't lose any of my chicks, because I caught it quickly.

Good luck to you!
Sharon

Okay... called my Farmer's Cooperative and they have a quart of Sulmet for about $9 and a gallon of Corid for $92... so I think we're going for the Sulmet. :D

Okay, we got the Sulmet, as well as medicated chick feed. Questions:
-Is it okay to feed the medicated feed with the Sulmet, both at the same time?
-Should we give Sulmet to all the chicks, whether or not they're showing signs of sickness? I can't tell whose poop is whose, obviously, so I can't be sure who has it.

Yes, it's okay to feed food medicated with a coccidiastat at the same time you give Sulmet or Corid. Just make sure when you mix the Sulmet/Corid that you don't have a heavy hand on the measuring spoon, and they should be fine. And Yes, treat everyone. Like many illnesses that area caused by bacteria, viruses, or in this case, protozoans, not all who are sick will look sick. Treating everyone will stop the spread of the protozoan & prevent a longer outbreak or prolonged illness in birds who outwardly appear healthy.

The sick chick passed away last night. We gave it alone the Sulmet and medicated food, and it almost seemed to get rapidly worse afterward. It is possible that we overdosed, but I don't think so.

Turns out that that chick may not have even had Cocci. It seems that it did not have bloody poop. It's all mixed up, though. One group of chicks runs daily where we had previously kept some hens who did have Cocci. And there's another group which is kept on the other side of the yard, but comes walking all the way around. So one or both of the groups has it -- we don't know which.

Should we treat both groups of chicks, just in case?

I hate to treat animals that don't need it, but I think I'd treat 'em all - they may have it and not show it, whatever "it" is.....

I'm sorry for your loss
hugs.gif

sorry for your loss

i will have to disagree with some of these posts without offending

giving corrid/sulmit/coxid/baycox with medicated ACS food is the wrong thing to do

as as UT Poulty mentioned "dont be heabey handed on the mesuring" well thats exactly it

too much anticoccident can kill birds as it overdoses them

i stopped buying ACS crumbs as most of my birds are now sprayed with Paracox 8 and this can cause overdose and kill them if i give them ACS food aswell

although that said after 5 weeks of using Paracox 8 ACS feed can be given as it wears away from the system

but defo using both at the same time is a real bad idea

Well, now I'm really confused. We are giving all the chicks the medicated feed, and the ones we suspect of having Cocci we are treating with Sulmet. Is this bad? Good? Okay?

Back
Top Bottom