Bloody stool in hens?

JulietsMomma

Chirping
Mar 24, 2023
When I went out to the coop this morning, there were 3 small poops that had some darker blood in them. All of my hens are eating and drinking fine. No abnormal behavior. Could this be coccidiosis? I did go ahead and clean waterers and treat with corid to be safe. I will have to clean the coop either later today or tomorrow (it’s storming).

ETA: I did notice them pecking at the tiny wild strawberries in my yard this week so it could be that?

This appears it may be coccidiosis. I used Corrid to treat this. And then added probiotics after the treatment.
Thank yo for responding. I think it is as well. I’m newer to chickens and they’re around 5-6 months old. Is this something that typically resolves with treatment? I’m worried I will lose my flock.

Do you have pictures of the droppings? Corid is very safe, so if in doubt I would treat.
But the strawberries could also be a factor, often dietary things can cause color changes in droppings that can look like blood. Corid is usually effective, in some cases a resistant strain might require another medication like toltrazuril or a sulfa antibiotic. That they are all acting fine is a good sign. Make sure you complete the entire treatment time if you decide to treat. If anyone looks off, lethargic, not eating or drinking well, then those are also symptoms.

Do you have pictures of the droppings? Corid is very safe, so if in doubt I would treat.
But the strawberries could also be a factor, often dietary things can cause color changes in droppings that can look like blood. Corid is usually effective, in some cases a resistant strain might require another medication like toltrazuril or a sulfa antibiotic. That they are all acting fine is a good sign. Make sure you complete the entire treatment time if you decide to treat. If anyone looks off, lethargic, not eating or drinking well, then those are also symptoms.
I didn’t take my phone out this morning where it was storming to get a picture but it basically looked like normal poop with raspberry preserves laying on top of it. I went ahead and started corid. Are there any other things I need to do to clean?

Coccidia are everywhere, it's impossible to completely eradicate them. Keeping feeders and waterers clean and free of droppings, and keeping the area from having a lot of droppings build up is about all you can do. When they are exposed to coccidia, and recover, they should have some resistance to whatever strain(s) they were exposed to and not get sick again unless their immune systems are weakened by something else.

Coccidia are everywhere, it's impossible to completely eradicate them. Keeping feeders and waterers clean and free of droppings, and keeping the area from having a lot of droppings build up is about all you can do. When they are exposed to coccidia, and recover, they should have some resistance to whatever strain(s) they were exposed to and not get sick again unless their immune systems are weakened by something else.
Ok, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom