Bloody stool?

Jmilb

In the Brooder
Jun 24, 2021
Hello,
Two days ago I noticed my 10 month old hen in the nesting box on and off all day. When I went to lock them up at night she was still in there. I wondered if she was egg bound so I brought her on my porch to check her out and she jumped out of my arms and bloody clots/mucous (poop?) splattered all over. I checked her vent for an egg but nothing. I put her back in the coop and the next morning noticed more bloody poop. She did lay an egg yesterday but it was pale and a brittle shell (inside looked normal). I started everyone on corrid yesterday but is there something else I should be doing for her? She has been eating and drinking today, not acting lethargic. They have not been eating anything red. TIA
0A6CDBD7-262F-4848-BC58-3C2A37AACF44.jpeg

Hello,
Two days ago I noticed my 10 month old hen in the nesting box on and off all day. When I went to lock them up at night she was still in there. I wondered if she was egg bound so I brought her on my porch to check her out and she jumped out of my arms and bloody clots/mucous (poop?) splattered all over. I checked her vent for an egg but nothing. I put her back in the coop and the next morning noticed more bloody poop. She did lay an egg yesterday but it was pale and a brittle shell (inside looked normal). I started everyone on corrid yesterday but is there something else I should be doing for her? She has been eating and drinking today, not acting lethargic. They have not been eating anything red. TIAView attachment 3180832
Just make sure you complete the dosing (don't stop when it clears up - keep going for the revommended duration).

You can also give a drench to individual birds in severe cases (this looks like it might fall under that category).

Here's a good article by @casportpony:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/corid-amprolium-oral-drench-instructions.74391/

Blood in the poop can be from worms as well as from possible coccidiosis. Is there any way you could get some fresh droppings checked by a vet with a fecal float? A couple of good wormers are Valbazen 1/2 ml orally, and repeated in 10 days. Or use SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer 0.25 ml (1/4 ml) per pound, given orally for 5 consecutive days.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I only have 6 hens so de worming all of them won’t be very difficult if I need too.

Blood in the poop can be from worms as well as from possible coccidiosis. Is there any way you could get some fresh droppings checked by a vet with a fecal float? A couple of good wormers are Valbazen 1/2 ml orally, and repeated in 10 days. Or use SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer 0.25 ml (1/4 ml) per pound, given orally for 5 consecutive days.
Ok thanks, I have safeguard ordered just to be in the safe side.

Also, I have only 6 chickens and haven’t added any new pullets, is it likely they have gotten coccidia? I am reading a lot about how it’s unlikely when they are older? We live in Florida and it has been so hot so I’m not sure if that has something to do with this issue?

Also, I have only 6 chickens and haven’t added any new pullets, is it likely they have gotten coccidia? I am reading a lot about how it’s unlikely when they are older? We live in Florida and it has been so hot so I’m not sure if that has something to do with this issue?
Any update on this hen? I'm having a similar issue currently.

Back
Top Bottom