Bloody stool

REW_Chicken

In the Brooder
Jun 21, 2021
I looked at the "poo chart" someone shared, and I've read a lot, but, no one seems to have answered this question...

How often should you see the normal red/bloody stool that comes as the chickens shed their intestinal lining?

We treated our flock for coccidiosis, but one little silkie rooster (our favorite) is still having what we thought was blood in his stool, until I saw the poo chart. Now, I am thinking what it is is the internal lining shedding, since it looks identical to the pictures in the chart. But, the Red/bloody stools are a couple times a day. We have him separated right now and in an area where we can monitor his poops. (Who knew I'd be saying/doing that in my lifetime lol).

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Can you post pictures of the droppings? How old is he? Have you ever wormed him?
Is he acting normally otherwise?
Peep (the rooster in question) is 1.5 year old silkie. We've never wormed, but also never seen signs of worms.... We are doing a Corrid treatment on our entire flock right now and had separated Peep because he was drinking the cats water instead of his medicated water. We wanted to make sure he was getting the medicine. He has been limping the last few weeks, but I've looked all over and can't find anything noticably wrong. I'm assuming he hurt his one leg trying to get away from our much larger and meaner rooster. Before our other silkies were old enough to get along with Peep.
IMG_20230403_105825405.jpg

Any chance he's been eating berries or anything else that might color his droppings?
I would consider his treatment started on the day you KNOW that he only had access to medicated water, before that he may not have taken enough in. To clarify, correct dosing is 1 1/2 tsp of the powder or 2 tsp of the liquid Corid per gallon of water, make fresh daily. If there is no chance that he's eaten anything like berries, then I would also give him an oral dose once a day also, in addition to the medicated water, dosing instructions for that are here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/

Any chance he's been eating berries or anything else that might color his droppings?
I would consider his treatment started on the day you KNOW that he only had access to medicated water, before that he may not have taken enough in. To clarify, correct dosing is 1 1/2 tsp of the powder or 2 tsp of the liquid Corid per gallon of water, make fresh daily. If there is no chance that he's eaten anything like berries, then I would also give him an oral dose once a day also, in addition to the medicated water, dosing instructions for that are here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/
Thank you! We kept him for 5 days for the full treatment where he had no choice but the medicated water. There are no berries around. We just let him outside today, which is day 6. He is getting the half strength treatment the other chickens are getting now.

If he's still having droppings like that after 5 full days then you may have to treat with another medication. Occasionally someone gets a strain that is resistant to amprolium. Did any of your other birds show symptoms? If he's not showing any improvement then you may need to use a sulfa drug or toltrazuril.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ood-cocci-kills.1258947/page-10#post-20206171

If he's still having droppings like that after 5 full days then you may have to treat with another medication. Occasionally someone gets a strain that is resistant to amprolium. Did any of your other birds show symptoms? If he's not showing any improvement then you may need to use a sulfa drug or toltrazuril.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ood-cocci-kills.1258947/page-10#post-20206171
With our other birds we had a couple with bloody stool, and ended up with chickens fine one day and dead the next. A friend suggested a Corrid treatment, since we didn't know for sure what was going on, but things seemed to point to coccidiosis. The other birds are doing fine now.

Glad the others have recovered. If he were mine I would try treatment with one of the other medications. It's possible that he had more damage to the gut from the coccidia also.

Back
Top Bottom