Bloody stools in 2 and a half week old chicks

Oct 18, 2017
Midway, Georgia USA
I have them on medicated chick starter and I noticed bloody stools yesterday. I have been reading conflicting info.... I HAVE Corid also but I can't find POSITIVE info as if I should use this INSTEAD of the medicated feed or use BOTH. If I should take their medicated feed away, I have no non-medicated chick feed at the moment. They are active and other than the poop, nothing seems amiss.

Photo of the chicks to bribe for responses....

Attachments

• DSC_0040 (2).JPG
    DSC_0040 (2).JPG
    227.1 KB · Views: 6
I would start the corid water don't change the feed. 1.5 teaspoon per gallon first 5 days then 1/3 teaspoon i believe for the next 7 to 14 days. The actual photo they look pretty healthy are acting lethargic kinda laying down not wanting to eat or anything? Also whats the brooder Temps can they get away from the heat source to cool spots.

I would start the corid water don't change the feed. 1.5 teaspoon per gallon first 5 days then 1/3 teaspoon i believe for the next 7 to 14 days. The actual photo they look pretty healthy are acting lethargic kinda laying down not wanting to eat or anything? Also whats the brooder Temps can they get away from the heat source to cool spots.
I thought if you were treating with corrid then medicated feed would cancel it out. I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure that's what I've read many times.

I thought if you were treating with corrid then medicated feed would cancel it out. I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure that's what I've read many times.
I found a older thread on here about it they said they keep the medicated feed and give corid water but it said if the chicks were vaccinated for coccidia not to give the medicated feed. I've always used medicated feed and gave corid water but when I did it I had chicks and ducks dropping pretty quick like 2 and 3 several hours apart so I didn't look anything up I just started the corid before they all died. If they just have bloody poop though it might not be coccidia mine had blood but were dropped and out pretty fast.

Just to be clear the 'medication' in feed is amprolium?
Pics of poops would be good too.
I'm not sure. @Wyorp Rock or @Eggcessive would know.

I have them on medicated chick starter and I noticed bloody stools yesterday. I have been reading conflicting info.... I HAVE Corid also but I can't find POSITIVE info as if I should use this INSTEAD of the medicated feed or use BOTH. If I should take their medicated feed away, I have no non-medicated chick feed at the moment. They are active and other than the poop, nothing seems amiss.
If the medicated chick starter contains Amprolium, it's fine to give the Corid as well.

Please post some photos of the poop?

Liquid Corid dose is 2 tsp per gallon of water and Powdered Corid dose is 1 1/2 tsp per gallon of water. Give for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.

Do not give any extra vitamins/electrolytes during the course of Corid treatment.

AFTER you finish the 5-7 days of Corid, provide them with probiotics for a few days.

Back
Top Bottom