Bloody tail feathers!!

Tikkijane

Crowing
9 Years
Moved girls into bigger brooder this evening. There are 13 in there, and this one is my 1 1/2 week BO. One of my 1 week old EEgs got her and now I have bloody tail feathers. It looks like the bleeding has stopped, but there is a raw place there at the base of her tail feathers. We have taken her out, because once the bleeding started, the pecking got worse.

What do I do now? Do I need to keep her separated out overnight? Can I try putting her back in and seeing what happens? I would *hate* to lose her overnight, and nothing is open to get another brooder light. Do I need to sleep next to them?
big_smile.png
My biggest concern is overnight, because it's late and I need to go to bed, in theory.

Thanks!

Tikki

I'm guessing you don't have any blukote on hand? IMHO If you put her back she most likely will get pecked again. Do you have a heating pad? That should work until you able to buy another lamp.
Kate

Unfortunately, I don't!
sad.png
I do have a hot water bottle and can try that. Since she's clean (and is sleeping with dh at the moment- he is awake but she is not), is it safe to even try her back in with the others and see what happens? My concern is I can't be up all night watching to make sure she doesn't get pecked.

At what point (if not tonight to test and see) can I put her back in and see how things work out?

SO glad for your help!

Tikki

I went through this a month ago with some of my babies so I would definitely NOT put her back. Wrap the hot water bottle up in a towel,use another box/tote whatever you have on hand to make another brooder and pop her in.

Quote:
*nods* ok, so quarantine until tomorrow. She's going to have a lonely night alone.
sad.png

Thanks.

I have a 10 month old that recovering from being severely pecked on his back, it was so bad that his spine was a bit exposed
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom