BLRW + SPPR - No eggs

Our 4 Blue Laced Red "Splash" Wyandottes AND 2 Silver Penciled Plymouth Rocks are 23 Weeks old today (born around April 3rd).

I did saw the change in their faces with getting more and more red and the waddles and comb growing slowly but surely more!

This is our first flock, so I was just wondering when we could expect eggs??? And do they need anything to ensure that they are comfortable laying their eggs??
Or is it just a, when the egg is ready it is ready to come out, kind of deal??! :)

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!!

Are your girls doing the "submissive squat" for you? Reddening of the comb/wattles and doing the squat ensures that your girls are very close to laying...good luck!

It's been my experience over the last 5 years raising and keeping Heritage Breeds ( many different breeds ) that they often don't come into lay until around 26 to 30 weeks of age - my Welsummers sometimes even take longer to begin laying.

Another behavior pullets who are about to start laying do is go into the nest and 'arrange' it and sit in it for a while. This can go on for days and just when you least expect it - she will get up from the nest to jump down and there will be an adorable little 'pullet egg'.

It never gets old - the egg thing - have fun!

I have to agree with Mtnviewfarms... I have 2 SLWs that are 29 weeks and though they look ready to lay and have looked ready for at least a month, I haven't seen the first egg from either of them. My much younger sex link girls are laying and we're still waiting for those 2 big SLW beauties to lay some eggs. Patiently waiting....
old.gif

I try not to think about it and one day there will be a BIG surprise waiting for me!!!
celebrate.gif

Well once my oldest daughter came home from school, she wanted to check on the chickens and was sad there was not one egg in the nesting boxes, well she walked around and looked into the coop and started to scream "EGG MAMA THERE IS AN EGG!!" I was shocked... Guess where she found it?!?

In their water dish.... silly girls!! At least it was already cleaned... :) So let's see if the trend continues

Well once my oldest daughter came home from school, she wanted to check on the chickens and was sad there was not one egg in the nesting boxes, well she walked around and looked into the coop and started to scream "EGG MAMA THERE IS AN EGG!!" I was shocked... Guess where she found it?!?

In their water dish.... silly girls!! At least it was already cleaned... :) So let's see if the trend continues
lau.gif
When my girls started laying only one of them was a consistent layer in nesting box #1. The others were all "hit-n-miss". I have found them out in the run in the remains of a sun-bathing spot, way in the corner of the coop partially hidden with pine shavings (that was a stroke of luck that I found that one!), and I even got them up in the poop tray! Chickens.....go figure....
he.gif

lau.gif
When my girls started laying only one of them was a consistent layer in nesting box #1. The others were all "hit-n-miss". I have found them out in the run in the remains of a sun-bathing spot, way in the corner of the coop partially hidden with pine shavings (that was a stroke of luck that I found that one!), and I even got them up in the poop tray! Chickens.....go figure....
he.gif

gig.gif
that is funny!!! I guess go figure!!! Wish our coop was closer to the house, so I could watch the action!!! Maybe hubby should install camera's :D
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom