Blu-Kote for first aid kit?

The Welch Chickens

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Mar 18, 2023
Rhode Island
I am making an emergency first aid kit to have on hand for my chickens. I have been reading about "Blu-Kote" spray and thinking about adding it to my kit. What do you all think? Would you recommend Blu-Kote for wounds or is there something better? It just doesn't seem very safe; there are a lot of warnings on the bottle :confused:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/dr-naylor-blu-kote-dauber-4-oz

BluKote ingredients are alcohol and gentian violet. It is mostly used for minor wounds and scratches, and to color a red spot blue, so that chickens won’t peck it. We used gentian violet years ago to treat oral thrush, a fungal yeast infection. I have had good luck hiding wounds that attract pecking. Others have said it has attracted more pecking. It is not a wonder drug. It is very staining to clothing and hands, but it will eventually wear off. As with other things, it may have side effects that have been discovered. You might just have to try it. Better disinfectants are chlorhexidene (Hibiclens) and povidone iodine (Betadine.) Those are available at Walmart in the first aid aisle. Triple antibiotic ointment is also good to have. Saline is the mildest wound treatment for cleaning.

DEFINITELY add blu kote, I’ve used it for everything from chickens to horses, a great addition to the first aid kit
BluKote ingredients are alcohol and gentian violet. It is mostly used for minor wounds and scratches, and to color a red spot blue, so that chickens won’t peck it. We used gentian violet years ago to treat oral thrush, a fungal yeast infection. I have had good luck hiding wounds that attract pecking. Others have said it has attracted more pecking. It is not a wonder drug. It is very staining to clothing and hands, but it will eventually wear off. As with other things, it may have side effects that have been discovered. You might just have to try it. Better disinfectants are chlorhexidene (Hibiclens) and povidone iodine (Betadine.) Those are available at Walmart in the first aid aisle. Triple antibiotic ointment is also good to have. Saline is the mildest wound treatment for cleaning.
Ok, thank you @MyParadiseFalls and @Eggcessive!

Back
Top Bottom