Blu kote on combs a good idea?

hollilynn

Songster
8 Years
Sep 16, 2013
This morning I found my favorite hen with some bleeding on her comb. I noticed blood splattered next to her roosting spot, so she must have gotten pecked at by one of the others;( she is definitely at the bottom of the pecking order and I think that is why she is my favorite. She is also very sweet;(
Anyway, I brought her into the house and cleaned her up and applied some blu kote. Took her back outside and one of the other hens immediately zoned in on that comb with Blukote on it. So I brought her back in, washed all the Blukote off, dried it and applied neosporin to her comb. Took her back out and so far much better.
It has also been very cold here the past week, with highs in the teens during the day! I think her comb is a bit damaged from getting pecked and perhaps a little frost damage;(?
I am thinking Blukote may actually not be appropriate for applying to a comb?

What do you all think?
Thanks!

If frostbite could be a problem, it can really further damage the comb to handle it. If if they aren't frostbitten, combs can bleed pretty easily. I have always had good luck with BluKote on pecks or injuries, but I would not put it on a comb. Some chickens will peck at BluKoe=ted skin, but mine never have. Hopefully if you separate her for a day or place her in a cage with food and water inside the coop, the comb will dry and not be such as attraction to peck. Watch for bullies and separate them next time if they are a lot of trouble. Good luck.

Been checking on her today and so far no issues. The very tip of one of her points appears to be whitish.... So I do think it is a touch of frostbite. I have an uninsulated coop raised off the ground with run beneath (see avatar) coop has several inches of straw and plenty of ventilation at the top. I do not provide heat based on the info found on this site.
Sunday morning we had a low of 2°. As you have probably guessed, this is my first winter with chickens.

There is one chicken who always seems to pick on her excessively;( her comb always looks a bit roughed up, cause she gets in the way of a peck now and then.

Thanks for your response!

Back
Top Bottom