Blu-Kote?

Gazinga

Chook Norris
11 Years
Jul 7, 2008
Palm Springs, California
Ok, i think i need some Blu-kote, but ive never used it, can some of you assist me with a few questions please?

1) wheres the best (cheapest) place to get it on the internet?
2) what exactly does it do / cure / help?
3) how do i apply?
4) Pros and Cons?

Thanks guys.

you can find it at any feed or farm store, its not expensive but I dont know the cheapest place online. Just spray it on the area you want it to cover. Comes in a small bottle so shipping should be cheap. Think of it like a Bacitractine spray it is like iodine or some other antiseptic (sp?)

I dont know any cons except that it is a strong blue color and will dye anything it touches. Great stuff to have around. I dont use antibiotics but will use this and it works very well for injuries.

i got mine at TSC. Make sure wound is clean and it comes in a spray bottle, just spray it on. But don't get it on your clothes it won't come out, or your skin either, you will have blue freckles for a while. I always use gloves. It's a wound protectant, helps keep dirt out and helps in healing the wound quicker. But be cautious about deep puncture wounds.

WHy be cautious with deep puncture wounds? what does it do there?

And it assist to stop other chooks from picking the red (bloody) spots, right?

Last edited:
I also got some at Tractor Supply, it was about $6. And as I was holding the chick to spray it on I coated my hand as well. I called the company and they said I wouldn't be poisoned or anything but to try isopropiac (??) alcohol or bleach to get the purple off. My DD likes the purple feathered bird.... It did work for the picking!!!!! When I called the guy didn't know people use it on chickens???

Puncture wounds go deeper into the flesh and you always want to be extra cautious with them. I think it warns about it on the bottle. When my hens were attacked I picked out the maggots cleaned the wounds with sterile saline solution and sprayed the bluekote on. They healed fine, but I had to stay ahead of the maggots. I did use it on the puncture wounds but like I say, make sure that it is very clean before you spray it on. It is like a blue sealant that protects against germs but it can also lock the germs in if the wound is not cleaned really good.

We had to put blu-kote on our ducks heads because the goose suddenly started pecking them and they had wounds. We had not used it before. My question is will the ducks be blue forever? (Sorry if this is a stupid question).

We had to put blu-kote on our ducks heads because the goose suddenly started pecking them and they had wounds. We had not used it before. My question is will the ducks be blue forever? (Sorry if this is a stupid question).
Won't be blue forever. It will last a long time though. I don't use it. Separation is best. The blue colour will not deter a goose from biting the Ducks.

Back
Top Bottom