Blue and black copper marans ?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ilovemydog, Aug 18, 2011.

1. ilovemydog

ilovemydog Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Which one lays darker eggs? Also is blue ones an actual breed like you can breed them or is it two seperate breeds?

Also if i choose to get Black copper marans how will i be able to tell the difference between them and my australorps?

2. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Quote:I don't know the egg color answer, but I can tell you that the difference will be easy to tell between a BCM hen and an australorp hen!

One, BCMs have feathered legs, australorps don't. And there is a reason that they are called "black copper" marans rather than black marans. They have coppery feathers mixed in with the black, my pair have them mostly around their neck and with fewer as the feathers get closer to the tail. My one australorp is jet black (unless you count the shimmery green hue when the feathers are in the sun).

3. stickers

stickers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2010
    Hudson
    I have Black Copper, Blue and Blue Copper and so far the Black Copper eggs are the darkest. You can breed Blue to Black and will get 50/50 Blue/Black offspring. I believe Blue is just a dilution of Black. Your Marans should also have feathered shanks while the Australorps do not. Darker egg is BCM lighter is Blue

[​IMG]

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    In most cases, Black Coppers lay the darkest, because most blues used to create Blue Coppers lay pretty poor of egg color.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by