1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blue and Lavendar orp question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by RedRoosterFarm, Jan 17, 2011.

1. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Can anyone here tell me if I breed a lavendar orpington to a blue orpington will that be a bad thing? I have lavendars and black but have a chance for blue. I dont understand the breeding when you ad blue. I got the black and lavendar thing figured out though.

2. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:That will produce blue birds and black birds.

Back cross a blue offspring with a lavender bird will produce a bird lighter in color than the lavender bird, blue birds, lavender birds and black birds.

You will have to hatch 20 or more birds to get all four kinds of birds.

Tim

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  3. RedRoosterFarm

Thanks for the help!

Back cross a blue offspring with a lavender bird will produce a bird lighter in color than the lavender bird, blue birds, lavender birds and black birds.

Tim

4. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga

Tim

And a throw back to this would if you two of the blues that were split for lav were crossed together. This would produce some Splashes, some Lavs, and probably some of those that are lighter than lavs, and it would get hard to tell who's who. So I personally wouldnt breed Blue into Lavenders.

5. RedRoosterFarm

hummm, i like this....thanks

Tim

And a throw back to this would if you two of the blues that were split for lav were crossed together. This would produce some Splashes, some Lavs, and probably some of those that are lighter than lavs, and it would get hard to tell who's who. So I personally wouldnt breed Blue into Lavenders.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by