Blue Andalusian X Black Minorca any thoughts on what might come about?

MMPoultryFarms

Songster
9 Years
Jun 21, 2010
Okarche Oklahoma
I want to breed for blue minorcas What would happen if I hatched a few batches of chicks and line bred them 3-5 generations blues back to the Black minorca's,
Since the blue andalusian and the black minorca share basically the same traits and both lay white eggs is this a possible solution. any thoughts would be warmly welcomed.
Thanks in advance
Matthew

The blue from the Andalusian is dominant, so really, you could breed them, get a blue from the hatch, breed it back to a good Minorca, get a blue chick from there, and breed to a good Minorca again. Pretty straight foreward, but breed to the standard and cull hard!

For information about Spanish breeds, I would ask Dan Honour. His BYC name is danhonour. He has a wealth of knowledge about Leghorns, Minorcas, Spanish and Andalusians. Have not seen him on here lately though....

The Cockerel in question.

61206_blue.jpg

I would do the Black Minorca cross with a Splashed Andalusian male onto large show type Black Minorca hens and only set eggs that are extra-large.All the Chicks will be blue and you should get some size.I would then pick the biggest Blue cockerel and mate back to the pure Black Minorca hens.You could then mate the f2 together or back to the same blue sire.You will get the size and Minorca type (also large egg size).

Quote:
thanks alot dan means I am heading on the right track. You by chance know anyone with a spare good minorca roo cant find one to save my life. I just hatched several offspring from these fellas and gals I will post pics tonight sometime as well.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom